ThinkPad Yoga 460 (20FY0002US)- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by HionHiFi, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As long as you got those 3 hidden screws off, it's matter of carefully prying the bottom off. I used the a splastic knife from a take out place to do it.

2. boydston01

boydston01 Pen Pal - Newbie

The "three hidden screws" are the three that are under the rubber knobs, right? Thanks so much.

3. hkklife

hkklife Pen Pal - Newbie

BIOS 1.45 is now available for download. I installed it earlier today and noticed no major changes in use or in the changelog but worth mentioning to those who like to have the latest & greatest.

4. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I was mad when lenovo finally launched the yoga 460 with the 1440 screen in the US, but then didn't give it the NVIDIA GPU like the bestbuy 20fy has. I'm going to attempt a WQHD 1440P screen replacement on the 20FY0002US, see if I can get the best of all worlds. I've got the replacement screen part 01AW134 already, and should have the 20FY in the mail soon. I'll keep you all posted if the surgery is successful.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Please also keep us posted if it fails. That way we can commiserate. :D Good luck!

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

6. cbutters

OK... i got all the way there... and then suddenly the connector did not look the same.
    see the image:
    [​IMG]

Using lenovo parts finder all I ever see for both 1080P models and 1440P models is part number 00up116 for the display cable... but obviously there is some sort of different cable... does anybody know what connector this is, or how I would get a cable that would fit the 1440p screen?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  7. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

The attachment isn't showing for me, but my guess is the 1080p uses lvds and the 1440p uses eDP. Several other machines I've worked on have had that same situation even on the same motherboard. One board has both pinouts but only connectors soldered for one or the other.

8. cbutters

Ok... I looked closer at the image lenovo posts for part number 00UP116
    I realized that part number ships TWO cables.... kindof strange. as only one should be needed depending on the connector, kindof a waste of resources:
    see the attachment:
    [​IMG]
    The top wire is the one I have, and that bottom cable looks exactly like the cable I need for the 1440p display..
    I've put in an overnight order, hopefully it gets to me by saturday...

Looks like I'm going to have to tear the whole thing apart to swap the wires out.

Edit: I'm very hopeful that swapping the cable will work. If you look at the yellow sticker on the top cable (the 1080P cable) in the image, it says it is a 30 pin EDP cable, and the lower cable (the 1440P cable) on the left end near the white line says eDP and there is what looks like a 30 on that end as well. so even though the far end has what looks like maybe a 40 pin connection, the mainboard connector on both cables looks similar and both list EDP 30.... My hope is that lenovo just had to use a different connector because the 1440 display which is an LG, the panel happened to use a different connector but it is still compatible with the 30 pin eDP and the mainboard connector itself is the same.

Is there anybody here that is more familiar with these small display connectors that could confirm this?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  9. kinonotabi

kinonotabi Pen Pal - Newbie

I though it just need a 1440p display but somehow it has different connector too.
    I wish you success to attach new display cause I like to swap mine too when ready mentally & financially.

Keep us informed for your modification
    Thanks

10. cbutters

(see my previous two posts for context to this post)

I was also able to pull the part numbers for the P40 Yoga in 1080P and 1440P flavors (Which uses the same part number for display cables)

Comparing the two models:
    1080 20GQ000CUS System Board PN: 01AW419
    1440 20GQ000EUS System Board PN: 01AW419

EDIT: Also checked the straight up Yoga 460 PN between display models:
    1440 20EM0023US System Board PN: 01EN106
    1080 20EM0024US System Board PN: 01EN106

This seems to indicate that the system boards between the 1080P version and the 1440P version are identical, which means both have that same 30 pin EDP port. Which I hope means that the 20FY upgrade to 1440P is going to work once I get the other cable that has the right connector end.

Its going to be a nerve racking few days as this machine is pulled completely apart and I wait on the new cable to come in. I really hope fedex does saturday delivery, otherwise its going to be a long weekend wondering if this is going to work, or if I'm going to be out several hundred dollars for a failed experiment.

Edit: Saturday delivery was a no-go. Item to arrive today 10/31... maybe after the kiddos have their Halloween fun and go to sleep I can spend time trying to hack this Frankenstein thing together.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.