ThinkPad Yoga 460 (20FY0002US)- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by HionHiFi, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@jvalenti370 sadly, I can only speculate that this issue is caused by poor coding of apps you use resulting in high CPU usage, while you obviously need some hard proof. I suggest trying to run the same software on a machine with similar CPU yet equipped with dGPU, to be sure. As a half-measure, try monitoring your CPU & GPU usage while working in described manner, e.g. with Intel power gadget tool, to understand what is happening exactly.

2. yayman123

yayman123 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a better idea if you can wait, and I want to clear up some information...

1)All computers come with a GPU of some kind, in your case, I'm presuming Intel HD Graphics 520, which is a very weak GPU built for light media consumption and using minimal power. It's unsuited to handle 3 monitors/screens, especially when they are very high resolution (1080+).
    2)The "20FY0002US" of the Yoga 460 is actually a completely different computer model. The ThinkPad Yoga 14. This in the US is a Best Buy exclusive and includes a 940M, which is relatively speaking much better than the 520, but still very VERY weak compared to desktop GPU's and obviously consumes more power.
    3) The GT(X?) 940M only turns on and gets active use when plugged in. No exceptions on Windows.
    4) The GT(X?) 940M is soldered onto the motherboard and is therefore not removable by regular means.
    5) Even this graphics card was never really built to handle more than 2 displays at once, but it should be fine anyway.

And finally, when the new W10 Fall Creators Update hits in September, it'll add a GPU section to the task manager. With that, you could finally pinpoint what the bottleneck truly is. Just look at what is being used near 100% in the Performance tab, and then check out the process causing it. You might not even need a new GPU or CPU and the bottleneck could be something else entirely.

Here's my laptop on the Insider preview for an example: temp.PNG

3. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@yayman123 these 'weak' GPUs were built with multi-monitor support in mind, and normally handle it just fine. Specific apps are causing OP's problem, not the sheer fact that he's running triple monitor setup on HD 520.

4. WolfHauser

WolfHauser Pen Pal - Newbie

Thinking of selling my 460 in the uk and replacing with a miix 510. Seems like you get pretty much the same package but in a smaller chassis with that lovely aspect ratio. Don't think I'll miss the GeForce graphics which weren't exactly blisteringly fast anyway! What do you guys think?

5. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone know what version of Mini Displayport is on this model? I can't find it anywhere.