ThinkPad Yoga 370 announced

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@dylanemcgregor the drive is indeed SATA3, but different form-factor - m.2 ngff 2280 that is. The slot supports both SATA3 (B/B+M keys) and NVME (M key) m.2 drives.

@Yao one could get a cheap 8GB model without WWAN, and simply replace RAM module, while also adding WWAN module and antennas - that is doable as long as the motherboard has sim-slot (most do). I did it with my TPY260 (while also adding WiGiG - though the latter better be factory-installed, to avoid the hassle). There might be WWAN-ready configurations, too. (with WWAN antennas pre-installed, yet no WWAN module and thus with RAM slot)

2. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Pen Pal - Newbie

@Starlight5 Thanks, what got me was the 180GB SSD option lists 2.5" as one of the attributes, and none of the other options list anything for form factor. I am inclined to trust you more than the listing on Lenovo, as that has the feeling of a listing error, but had just wanted to double check, as needing to buy a new drive adds a not insignificant cost. Surprisingly the cost for SSDs doesn't seem to have budged in the 2.5 years since I bought my 240. I paid $189 for my 500GB drive, and the newer version of that drive costs $199 for the same capacity.

3. Starlight5

@dylanemcgregor SSD prices actually went up since last year. FWIW I got a 2.5" 1TB high quality MLC SSD for $189 in April 2016 - and sold it recently, since newer ultrabooks and convertibles all come with m.2 slots, and owning expensive 2.5" drives becomes a liability. I believe the SSD are drastically overpriced at the moment, and the market will crash - sooner or later. Until then, I make do with 8TB external storage connected wirelessly with zero lag over WiGiG.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  4. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

hi starlight5,

good info as usual :)

one of the main selling points of the Yoga 370 is swappable ram stick. Therefore, your solution to WWAN is much better than getting it from lenovo factory.

Do you think adding WIGIG is also easy on the Yoga 370?

5. Starlight5

@Yao there's a guide for WiGiG & WWAN installation on TPY 260 in my signature. TPY 370 is internally the same. Note that you'll need to separate display module from base to route the antenna wires through hinge. Check TPY 370 service manual for details.

Yao likes this.
  6. Yao

that is perfect then :)

yes, the Yoga 370 is the same size at the Yoga 260 except with a 13.3" LCD, correct?

the keyboard is the same size.

7. Starlight5

@Yao keyboard is the same. Even though the machine itself is slightly bigger and thus parts are incompatible, internal design is extremely similar.

Yao likes this.
  8. Yao

How do you find the keyboard size? comfortable to type long essays on?

9. Starlight5

@Yao yes, it's great. I like the layout, too. It may be slightly worse than X230 due to retractable nature, but all things considered, I believe it destroys all the competition. I rely on TrackPoint heavily, though - so my opinion may be somewhat biased.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Yao likes this.
  10. Yao

that is great! i have to admit, i miss the 'nib' trackpoint. its a great alternative to go from trackpad to trackpoint at times. its a great feature.

hows the battery life on your Yoga 260?