ThinkPad Yoga 370 announced

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@Yao Elitebook's FHD is very dim, so it's not very usable outdoors, especially compared to TPY370. Arguably, Thinkpad keyboard with trackpoint is far superior to any other. While Elitebook's 4K display may have acceptable brightness, it will definitely toll the battery life; if UHD display is the same as Spectre X360, we're still looking at sub 300 cd/m2 that is barely enough for outdoors. Soldered RAM and WLAN module add an insult to injury, and increase cost of initial purchase (if you actually need 16GB) while also prohibiting the use of cheap WiGiG docking stations.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Yao likes this.
  2. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone have any better information on the exact screen dimensions? My kids are getting this model from their school and I'd like to pre-order a screen protector from PhotoDon. They don't list this specific model, but they will cut to order.

Here is there pre-cut device selection page, but I couldn't find the 370 on that page.

Thanks!

3. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

i believe you are right. the thinkpad yoga 370 looks to be superior to the hp elitebook x360.

the ram slot is a huge feature!

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. Yao

hi starlight,

is the screen on the HP elitebook x360 more dim than thinkpad yoga 370?

5. Starlight5

@Yao yes. Average brightness of Elitebook x360 with FHD display is 255 cd/m2 - compare with 356 cd/m2 of TPY 370. Anything below 300 cd/m2 is barely usable outdoors. 4K display may be better, though - but there is no review, yet.

Yao likes this.
  6. Yao

starlight5,

what do you think of the new Samsung Notebook 9 Pro? 13.3 inch, 2.9 lbs, no batter s-pen, 54 whr battery?

This throws a new wrench into the world of 2-in-1 hybrids now.

Price is $1099 i5 7200u with 8gb ram, 256gb SSD.

Yoga 370 is far more expensive as is the Elitebook x360. This puts the Fujitsu t937 unreachable now at $1,850+ or so.

your thoughts? can the Samsung be modded with WWAN?

7. Starlight5

@Yao it's a consumer device with EMR, which has no WWAN, no fingerprint reader, no WiGiG... I doubt they just left a slot and place for WWAN antennas for our convenience. =p

To be perfectly honest, almost any notebook or convertible can be modded with WWAN if there's a usb slot you're ready to sacrifice and some free internal space. You just put a USB dongle modem inside without case, solder wires from USB slot to it (2x data, power & ground), disconnect it internal antenna (by cutting it with a knife, most likely) and solder antenna cables to it instead - and voila, you have WWAN. Needless to say, it is time-consuming operation requiring equipment & experience to perform, you can kiss your warranty goodbye and screw something in the process; in the end, this solution is much less comfortable to use than factory, e.g. removing a sim-card will be a pain every time. It's much simpler to buy a machine which already has WWAN, or can accomodate it without such heavy modding.

Thinkpad Yoga 370 occasionally pop up for $1000 new i5/8GB/256GB.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  8. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

It isn´t, at least not here in Germany. Its cheaper than the Elitebook.

9. Yao

overall, im still with you the Yoga 370 wins with upgradable ram slot and overall mil-spec build quality.

the no battery or capacitor EMR Pen of the Samsung notebook 9 Pro could be better, but overall, the Yoga 370 is still package.

10. Yao

hi ibmthnk,

i was stating that both the yoga 370 and elitebook x360 are more expensive than the samsung notebook 9 Pro.