ThinkPad Yoga 370 announced

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Dec 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone have any better information on the exact screen dimensions? My kids are getting this model from their school and I'd like to pre-order a screen protector from PhotoDon. They don't list this specific model, but they will cut to order.

Here is there pre-cut device selection page, but I couldn't find the 370 on that page.

Thanks!

2. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

i believe you are right. the thinkpad yoga 370 looks to be superior to the hp elitebook x360.

the ram slot is a huge feature!

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Yao

hi starlight,

is the screen on the HP elitebook x360 more dim than thinkpad yoga 370?

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@Yao yes. Average brightness of Elitebook x360 with FHD display is 255 cd/m2 - compare with 356 cd/m2 of TPY 370. Anything below 300 cd/m2 is barely usable outdoors. 4K display may be better, though - but there is no review, yet.

Yao likes this.
  5. Yao

starlight5,

what do you think of the new Samsung Notebook 9 Pro? 13.3 inch, 2.9 lbs, no batter s-pen, 54 whr battery?

This throws a new wrench into the world of 2-in-1 hybrids now.

Price is $1099 i5 7200u with 8gb ram, 256gb SSD.

Yoga 370 is far more expensive as is the Elitebook x360. This puts the Fujitsu t937 unreachable now at $1,850+ or so.

your thoughts? can the Samsung be modded with WWAN?

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@Yao it's a consumer device with EMR, which has no WWAN, no fingerprint reader, no WiGiG... I doubt they just left a slot and place for WWAN antennas for our convenience. =p

To be perfectly honest, almost any notebook or convertible can be modded with WWAN if there's a usb slot you're ready to sacrifice and some free internal space. You just put a USB dongle modem inside without case, solder wires from USB slot to it (2x data, power & ground), disconnect it internal antenna (by cutting it with a knife, most likely) and solder antenna cables to it instead - and voila, you have WWAN. Needless to say, it is time-consuming operation requiring equipment & experience to perform, you can kiss your warranty goodbye and screw something in the process; in the end, this solution is much less comfortable to use than factory, e.g. removing a sim-card will be a pain every time. It's much simpler to buy a machine which already has WWAN, or can accomodate it without such heavy modding.

Thinkpad Yoga 370 occasionally pop up for $1000 new i5/8GB/256GB.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  7. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

It isn´t, at least not here in Germany. Its cheaper than the Elitebook.

8. Yao

overall, im still with you the Yoga 370 wins with upgradable ram slot and overall mil-spec build quality.

the no battery or capacitor EMR Pen of the Samsung notebook 9 Pro could be better, but overall, the Yoga 370 is still package.

9. Yao

hi ibmthnk,

i was stating that both the yoga 370 and elitebook x360 are more expensive than the samsung notebook 9 Pro.

10. Yao

starlight5,

when and where does the yoga 370 pop for $1000 with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd? let me know please!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.