ThinkPad Yoga 260 - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Ksramwarrior

Ksramwarrior Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. That worked. As an update to the hanging problem, it's gone away. Once I updated the drivers no more hanging. Even on battery.

BTW, anyone ever see a little arrow with what looks to be a house in it on logging in? It shows up now and again with no explanation. Wonder what it means. Really enjoying the machine and Windows 10. Though I do find myself grabbing the macbook air to browse on the couch. Comfort level with OS X I Guess. My biggest problem with the Thinkpad? Compared to Apple the trackpad is ****. Bounces all over the place, not smooth, can't click. I find myself touching the screen just to avoid using the trackpad or using the red mouse. Thank God for that. Otherwise this would be an automatic return. Lenovo needs to learn from Apple on this.

2. cryptic-nut

cryptic-nut Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the house you describe is telling you whether caps lock is down. Removing Lenovo Onscreen Display should stop that if you don't want it (Control Panel -> Programs and Features, right-click and choose uninstall, and then don't reinstall Hotkey Integration Features or else it will return).

Regarding the TouchPad, use the TrackPoint instead. Once you learn to use it, it is preferable to a TouchPad.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  3. SM05

SM05 Pen Pal - Newbie

With those 2 suspect applications uninstalled I had an opportunity last weekend to test it on battery only - still hangs now and then. So it must be something else. I suspect some driver is not up to date as System Update had been presenting me with nothing to update for a while now.

4. Ksramwarrior

Did you try what I did ? I got it from the other thread posted a couple of pages back. Absolutely no hanging since then. I've been on battery too. I've got every Lenovo App and Foundation installed as well. Kinda like them. Try the technique. Bet it'll sort you out. Go back a few posts and read what I did.

5. SM05

SM05 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure which thread you're referring to tbhwy. There was an earlier suggestion in this thread to uninstall one Lenovo app, which I had replied to and which made no difference.

6. Ksramwarrior

This is from post 251

>>>>

There were an issue for some of Yoga 260 user here: forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Yoga-260-randomly-hangs-for-a-few-seconds/td-p/3349713

I was facing the same problem (read my post above) and finally find out that the Lenovo Foundation is the cause (it run background and cause randomly high CPU usage). I think this is YMMV but it's not hurt to check this out and remove the software if you encountered the same problem

>>>>

If you follow that link they talk about installing a little program that cleans up registry. When you download the program it gives you the option of downloading a driver update program as well. I ran both of them. Since that moment, no hanging at all either on battery or on power.

7. Leo M

Leo M Pen Pal - Newbie

Got the i5 6200U, to be on the safe side re. heat -- but the machine still gets uncomfortably warm from time to time, holding it on the lap, in the upper left hand corner and towards the middle. Less of an issue than with the TP Yoga 12, where the area to the right of the trackpad was (also) concerned, but still not ideal. Grateful for any suggestions on how to tackle this, e.g. via energy management settings.

BTW, I'm quite happy with it in other respects so far. Especially the trackpoint click-buttons are way better than on the predecessor.

8. SM05

SM05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Leo, I personally set my power plan to Balanced. As far getting warm, aside from design and needing to cool the device, I'd watch the task manager to see what app/service is hogging the CPU. Unless you're running a CPU/GPU intensive task there should be very little going on there other than occasional spikes. If not much is happening and fan kicks in all of a sudden that's when I'd check the CPU activity.

9. SM05

SM05 Pen Pal - Newbie

I see your post now. I'm glad it worked for you. In all honesty I never trust a black box that is "registry cleaner" or "performance optimizer". Aside from not knowing exactly what they do I ran across a few in the past that had adware packaged up with them. Considering that at the end of your exercise you still don't know which driver update or Windows registry tweak had fixed it, I'll continue looking for the solution. Thanks for your suggestion though.

I've installed a few latest drivers downloaded direct from Lenovo site. System Update hasn't been showing anything new for a long time now. I'll give it another test over the weekend.

10. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Did anyone check if the WLAN slot is whitelisted?