ThinkPad Yoga 260 - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Onismurai

Onismurai Pen Pal - Newbie

How's your battery life? I did a clean install on mine and usually work with 50%/75% brightness. Only last about 4-5 hours max with Chrome and office. This is absolutely not terrible, but totally disappointing for me, as I expect it around 7 (I got an i5 with normal m.2).

Talking about heat, sometime the laptop is seriously hot without any heavy use.

The weird thing about the 260 now is that it just hang out for 1-2 seconds randomly, like the screen and cursor was freezed but background app still worked. The CPU usage was really high at that moment then came back normal, but this problem is driving me crazy. So annoying but I am yet to find any solution. Wonder if you do experience anything like that?

2. SM05

SM05 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've recently noticed the same random and annoying thing too. It only happens when running on battery ie with the power cord disconnected. The reason I didn't see it before is because I rarely use it that way and run it with Onelink+ Dock 99% of the time. Speaking on dock, I read it wasn't very good and I'm on a 2nd one now. Hope it doesn't crap out like the one it had replaced.

3. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And Chrome is still the problem.
    If you need battery runtime try edge, it is not as terrible as most say.
    Esp. in the insiderpreview, which will become the normal W10 in a few weeks, it has extension support, and gestures are working again.

4. Onismurai

If you have this too, then definitely the problem lies somewhere in the recent update. I've seen some people complaint about this few weeks ago. I really want to do a warranty but I don't think its hardware's fault

I got into the Insider Preview as well but only the Release Preview ring, since I want bug fix as soon as possible. Did you have to get into the Slow ring to have extension support?

Anyway I'll dump Chrome and start to use Firefox for a while. But totally agree with you, Chrome is heavy and drain battery life so hard.

5. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm in the fastring so I can't tell you.
    But Firefox is not really any better then chrome.

Have you tried Opera?

6. Ksramwarrior

Ksramwarrior Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, new here and also to the win world. Been using a mac since 1999 but have been lusting after one of these flippy windows machines for two years now. After much back and forth and way too much research I just said eff it and bought the yoga 260 yesterday. It'll be here tomorrow. Thing is, I don't even know what to do when I open it. Haven't used windows ever. Talk about impulse purchase.

I could answer questions for you but will be asking more and am hoping this is a decent helpful community. Somehow I think macrumors, my other home, won't be too helpful Hahaha

I've got ten days to check everything out and if anything seems off it'll be replaced (I'm abroad btw not the states). Soooooo, what's the first thing I should do when I power this bad boy up and what are the major problems to look for to make sure I don't have a lemon?

Oh. I got the i7, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD with the high res screen and pen.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  7. Onismurai

Fast ring is too much for me, this is my main laptop and I don't want bug.
    And I actually hate Opera, so nope. No go for Edge also since it can't import my history and bookmark. I desperately need those.
    Maybe I have to try customizing Firefox a little bit then.

Welcome to the party mate

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The first thing I do when I get a new laptop is run all Windows updates. You will likely have to do this several times until you're fully up to date.

Set up your OneDrive account.

Then I run the manufacturer update utility, which often needs an update too.

Next I uninstall as much of Lenovo's crapware as I can.

If you plan to use your pen, verify that you've got the latest Wacom Feel driver installed. Adjust your tip sensitivity.

Go to the Windows Store app and update it (no idea why this doesn't happen automatically). If you plan to draw, download the Sketchable and Sketchbook for tablets apps.

In desktop, try download Clip Studio Paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Ksramwarrior

Ksramwarrior Pen Pal - Newbie

Wowza. Definitely not plug and play then. Good thing I like to tinker. I read somewhere to install a package called 'nine it' for basic apps. Is that good? And can you recommend something for music management, photo management, and movie editing (basically an iMovie alternative for light edits) ? I'll stick with XMBC for organizing my movie collection. Avast for virus is good? Now, when you mean uninstall Lenovo crapware can you explain a little more? Lenovo installs software on the machine? Are you saying I look through and uninstall EVERYTHING that says Lenovo?

Last question I promise ... I have ten days to return. Any major issues on this model that I should focus on to make sure it's a good machine? Any tests I can run? Specific things I need to look for?

Thanks so much. This is going to be a fun project. Macs have simply become boring to me.

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've never heard of "nine it." Avoid installing third party utilities and apps until you have a firm handle on the core OS and your major application(s).

Don't install iTunes for Windows if you can help it. It's a dog with fleas and Apple's revenge against Microsoft. ;-) Perhaps someone else can recommend options as I generally use professional software like Premiere Pro.

Don't install a virus scanner! The built-in Windows Defender is fine.

No rush to remove the Lenovo apps. They just tend to have a lot of them and they are of dubious utility.

The Thinkpad Yoga 14 aka 460, the 260's big brother, has been my daily driver at work since I picked it up.