ThinkPad Yoga 260 - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a similar issue with my BB TPY 14. I had to take off the screen completely to fix it (off the back plate, not off the hinges). There are little brackets on the right and left sides of the casing that attach the casing by the hinge. The left side had a screw in one of the holes that the right side did not. I had to find a small screw to fit in there, but it fixed the issue.

2. SM05

SM05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info. If you ever open it up again I and I'm sure others as well would appreciate some pics to see what you're describing there.

3. cryptic-nut

cryptic-nut Pen Pal - Newbie

This thread discusses options for AES pens: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/recommend-a-stylus-for-yoga-460.69504/page-4. Here's my contribution.

--
    The Wacom Bamboo Smart for select tablets and 2-in-1 convertible devices is now available in Australia: https://buywacom.com.au/products/stylus/bamboo-smart-531.html

I have the Dell Active Pen (PN556W). It's pretty good - better than the (larger) Lenovo ThinkPad Pen Pro, based on experience. The issues with the Lenovo pen seem to relate to the short hover height, as mentioned in this thread.

Update: I find an issue with the Dell Active Pen where it stops responding. Pressing the top button (which I have mapped to CTRL) fixes it, for me. I now also have the Wacom Bamboo Smart stylus (version for select tablets etc.). I think that's the best so far for the ThinkPad Yoga 260, out of the built-in pen, the larger ThinkPad Pen Pro, the Dell Active pen, and the Bamboo Smart. The three other pens are all improvements on the built-in stylus, which isn't so bad, and in particular has the neat supercapacitor charging feature. They're all very usable.
    --

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  4. Leo M

Leo M Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,
    I'm planning to upgrade from a 1st generation TP Yoga to the Yoga 260, which promises to (partly) address three of my minor complaints about the former: relatively high weight, trackpad buttons, and lack of a fingerprint reader.
    Another issue I've been having with my unit (i7-4500, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SDD, Win 8.1) is heat, in particular in the lower right hand part (looking onto the keyboard in laptop mode). I gather from earlier posts in this thread that this might be less of an issue with the 260 in general, which would be great news. Can anyone recommend a particular configuration to further minimize any risk of heat development?
    Many thanks.

5. SM05

SM05 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the general consensus is that i5 configuration would be preferable to i7 as i7 tends to run hotter. Another factor to consider is SSD, Samsung in particular. If you gonna use one of those then from the test results I've seen, 950 Pro runs a bit hotter than 850. Your usage patterns should play a large part in your decision making process.

Leo M likes this.
  6. Onismurai

Onismurai Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone here know the place to get the right color profile for the laptop? I think mine is so warm and started to hate it.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I don't own the 260, but if you hit start and type 'intel', does 'intel HD graphics' show up? If so, open it, and go to 'display'. There you can tweak color settings.

8. Leo M

Leo M Pen Pal - Newbie

Would there be any difference in this respect between i5 6200U (max. 2.8 GHz) and i5 6300U (3 GHz)? And does the RAM configuration (8 v. 16 GB) have any effect? Re. SSD, Lenovo doesn't seem to reveal the model number in the configurations I've been looking at; all are described as "SATA3 OPAL 2.0".

In terms of usage, I don't do any gaming or other particularly "heavy" things but often quite a lot of different processes in parallel and also some photo editing. The current i7 in the TP Yoga 12 is generally doing well (but does get hot, as mentioned above).

Thanks again!

9. cryptic-nut

10. cryptic-nut

I have a TP Yoga 260 i7-6500U with 16GB RAM and a Samsung Pro 950 installed. I don't find any issue with heat.

Leo M likes this.