ThinkPad Yoga 260 - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Dec 15, 2015.

1. cryptic-nut

cryptic-nut Pen Pal - Newbie

OK. It seems odd to me - I did a clean install of Windows 10, 64-bit, without trouble. I'd suggest trying the install a second time, from scratch. I assume you are using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to make the install media?

If that fails, then perhaps it is a hardware issue. I think that the touchpad and trackpoint should work with Microsoft drivers, just not optimally. If they don't work at all (after the second try) I think you should go back to Lenovo.

Good luck!

2. Constantinus

Constantinus Pen Pal - Newbie

The MS Media Creation Tool needed too much space on my other computer, so I used Rufus and the Win10 ISO downloaded from my employer's MS account.

I'll try making the USB with the Creation Tool, this time. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have much hope - the Trackpoint should work without any driver, but it does not work even during install or in Linux.

3. cryptic-nut

There are options to enable/disable the touchpad and trackpoint in the BIOS. Check they are set to enable.

4. Constantinus

Thanks for the ideas. Still no cigar.

Booted W10 with them enabled/disabled, still no touchpad or trackpoint.
    Changed drivers several times.
    Changed OS several times.
    Read countless posts about the trackpoint being active/inactive as it pleases. The problem seems to be dating back to at least the T440s. I never had this problem on previous Thinkpads. Maybe it's the combination with the touchscreen, or Lenovo changed touchpad/trackpoint suppliers, maybe something happened with them switching to island keys, I don't know.
    The rest of the laptop works fine.

I guess I'll give it back to the dealer for fixing. I was uneasy to do it until now, since changing software is usually less intrusive than even just taking off the backplate and un/re-plugging the keyboard connector, with the Thinkpad screws being coated and one-use and all that. It'll never be the same. Oh well. I could have done it myself in five minutes, but maybe it's something else, let them sort it out.

It's such a shame, receiving it faulty out of the box, with the new laptop smell but faulty trackpoint. I am disappointed. I had a T43 disk fail on us some time ago, a couple of LCD backlight inverters in an X40 and an X300 model, but not out of the box. They still serve(d) well past their warranty, still a class above any DELL/HP/Toshiba/Sony/ASUS/ACER/whatever that passed through my hands. We want dependability, they make them and ask the price, we pay it. That's how it used to be. Oh and they screwed up the subtle, but useful colors of the function and Enter keys, not to mention the original keyboard layout. Whining mode off now.

We had a major project these days, I didn't have time for the laptop. I'll see what the service centre says.

5. Constantinus

Trackpoint and touchpad are now functional.
    I picked up the repaired laptop, yesterday.

When I dropped it off, a few days ago, the service receptionist lady told me "it's probably a driver issue, the guys will fix it in no time". I was not in the mood of arguing with her.

The repair report says "repositioned the touchpad cable". I think the connector was...misconnected in the factory, during assembly.

I'm glad it works and the solution was this simple, but it's a bit disconcerting, to see QA having sank this low. On the other hand, the laptop's price was almost half of the previous Thinkpads that I had, so that should have been a sign.

All in all, I like the laptop/tablet.

Thank you for your help.

Next: upgrade 4GB to 16GB and 128GB to 1TB.

6. cryptic-nut

That's good to hear.

7. DavidC-Seattle

DavidC-Seattle Pen Pal - Newbie

After reading thread I am still confused on number of storage devices in Yoga 260. Can someone confirm that I will have possibility of 3 storage devices?

(1) main SATA drive
    (2) m.2 sata 2nd drive slot
    (3) m.2 sata WWAN slot

8. cryptic-nut

I don't think that is right. There is one m.2 slot which supports a PCIe NVMe or SATA drive. I don't think that the WLAN/WWAN m.2 slots support drives (they have different m.2 keys). There is no separate SATA interface.

9. JackeJR

JackeJR Pen Pal - Newbie

The WWAN slot can't be used for a m.2 drive?

10. JackeJR

JackeJR Pen Pal - Newbie