ThinkPad Yoga 15 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by cookies4you, Jan 11, 2015.

1. organic madder

organic madder Pen Pal - Newbie

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Lenovo's inner council:
    [​IMG]
    "He was decieved by a lie... we all were" -Obi-Wan Kenobi

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. sylcat

sylcat Pen Pal - Newbie

well poop :v

4. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

I do think the 15" Yoga series will be discontinued after the Yoga 15. At least it sounded like that on IFA.

Seems like Lenovo does not think that the 15" convertible form-factor has much market potential.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, it's hard to know if it has potential when they don't actually build or ship any of them after saying they would and ignoring the outcry when they didn't. Lenovo, man. Jeez.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry to revive a basically dead thread because of the demise of a pen option for this big guy, but despite no pen, I ended up picking up one of these over Black Friday weekend in a super deal ($750!), but not even factoring the price, it's just an all around solid 15" system that hits all the marks (dedicated graphics, good build quality, dock support, etc).

All of that said, I'm having one issue. The fan ramps up at the slightest hint of doing anything (e.g. opening a program) and generally runs way more than I'd expect (it's running right now). I've monitored the temps and they are all extremely reasonable, like right now the CPU is at 38 C!

I've looked into many fan control options and none seem to allow me to control the speed or adjust the thresholds. I've tried Speedfan, TPfancontrol, and I even managed to get Lenovo Power Manager installed despite not being compatible with Windows 10. There are no options in the bios, I've tried all the Windows power plan tricks (setting max CPU to 99, cooling plan to passive, etc), none seem to make a difference. I've got all the latest driver and bios updates installed.

Now the fan isn't too loud, but it's annoying hearing it whir up for like 2 seconds and shutting off and back on and off, it's like Lenovo has the firmware tuned for super, super aggressive cooling because there's clearly room for a looser threshold (see temp above).

Does anyone have any ideas or have had similar experiences before I engage in what's sure to be an arduous support ticket with Lenovo?