ThinkPad Yoga 15 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by cookies4you, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Superfish or no, I'm zapping on a fresh install of Windows on all Lenovos. Their OS install is riddled with crap. I keep seeing Lenovo **** updating in the background. STOP IT! QUIT DOING **** I DIDN'T ASK YOU TO!

Kumabjorn and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I like Thinkpad hardware. I just dont understand why a large corporation would bet against customer trust and sell out like this. This is really sad to see. Glad it doesnt affect the Thinkpad Yoga (my current machine), but will be quite wary of their factory installs from now on.

3. Tea and crumpets

Tea and crumpets Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know how many of you have been keeping an eye on the Toshiba Encore 2 thread but Precurve has dedicated a lot of time in testing and reviewing the Wacom AES tech on said device, showing how great he is once again with his most recent observations about the consistency and jittery'ness of the pen.

Now I'm even more excited about the TPY 15. I just wish we had some blasted confirmation about whether it comes with a pen or if the models for sale in the UK (and soon elsewhere?) have the tech ready to go if the pen is going to be sold at a later date. The UK site doesn't have a live chat and the forums are more question than answer.

4. Tea and crumpets

According to German customer service the TPY 15 currently for sale on some sites (which takes a month to build/deliver) offers no pen support even though the description says otherwise.

Admittedly it would be sensible to assume the current versions had no pen support but for all we knew the pen wasn't mentioned in the build as it doesn't exist as something you can purchase separately, even if the device was able to use it whenever it would be available. So... More waiting it is.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Given that they chose a technology that is much cheaper to implement, I suspect that every single Broadwell TP Yoga 14 and TP Yoga 15 will be 'pen ready'. I'm also prepared for the confusion when people try their old Wacom pen on the 15, and when it doesn't work claim that it doesn't have pen support.

But then again.. apparently at least one TPY15 machine did not support AES pen.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Tea and crumpets

So you're saying the customer support was wrong about the description on their site being wrong? Wouldn't surprise me if true. As excited as I am it's all a bit... Hazy.

I was this close to buying the device a couple of weeks ago but primarily held off due to these concerns. I'd be fine with buying it early and grabbing a pen later, I think most people would be.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That's what I suspect, but it's probably wisest to wait. Option 2: buy a Yoga 15 and a Encore 2 Write, return both if the pen doesn't work, and return only the Write if the pen does work. :D

8. Tea and crumpets

Heh, the notion had crossed my mind.

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hate to do this to you guys, but...

Reading through the many complaints of fan noise on the 13" Yoga, I think it could be an area of concern for the 14" and 15" models when they finally ship.

How good is Lenovo with fan noise in general?

One would hope that a bigger machine could afford to install a nice big fan, (slower, quieter but with the same cooling effect as a small faster fan.)

Would you still buy this thing if it sounds like the proverbial hairdryer?

Heh. Proverbial. ("And ye shalt not selleth, nor make available to the caravans nor any retail outlet, even the ****ty ones, a laptop should it hum and buzz and discomfort the ears with noxious protestations likened unto the wife's hairdryer, for this is a sin!")

10. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Or find that it doesn't have palm rejection as here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Serie...ure-of-the-ThinkPad-2-in-1/m-p/2035116#M25430