ThinkPad Yoga 15 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by cookies4you, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

2. Sandiegosd

Sandiegosd Pen Pal - Newbie

What realistic release date do you guys expect for the yoga 15?

Edit:
    Ohhhhh couldn't help and started a chat with a Lenovo rep asking about Yoga 15.6" release date. Behold, the response: "we do not have the information about the release date. We are expecting the model in the month of March 2015. " Disheartening

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    JoeS and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm trying to decide whether or not this new 15.6" device is what I really want. The under-the-hood power would be very welcome, but the screen format...

These are mock-ups designed to show what a standard comic book page looks like in Photoshop, with tool bars, etc. -When displayed on a Cintiq 21UX screen, these images have the actual real-life size of the screens I'm comparing. (The 15.6" Yoga, and my current Tecra M4). -Though, even if you're looking at them on a different display, you can get some idea of what it would be like to work on them.

The Lenovo Yoga 15.6":
    hp-15.6-screen-mockupPS-1.jpg

hp-15.6-screen-mockupPS-4.jpg

hp-15.6-screen-mockupPS-3.jpg

15.6-screen-workspace4.png

And the Tecra M4:

tecram4-mockup-PS-FIX1.jpg

tecram4-mockup-PS-1-FIX.jpg

tecram4-mockup-PS-2-FIX.jpg

I'm really not liking that 16:10 screen ratio. It looks cramped, despite the extra space along the side for tool bars. Being able to work at a comfortable zoom and still be able to see lots of up/down on an image is important to my sanity.

I might be sticking with my old Tecra M4 after all. It works, and the Penabled tech is absolutely excellent. All I'd really be gaining with the 15.6" Yoga would be extra horse power and some side-ways canvas space at the expense of an inch of up/down space. 16 Gb of memory would be awesome, but I truly dislike that wide-screen format. Not sure it's worth it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  4. Sandiegosd

May I ask why are the Yoga 12 & 15 models the first ones to get released after the announcement from this years' CES?
    Why aren't there some other machines in say T series that have similar specs without the Yoga formfactor coming out?
    Aren't they even easier to design?

I'm just invariably drawn to the Nvidia gpu on the Yoga's. Not necessarily the special formfactor, but of course it doesn't hurt to
    be able to flip it 360.

5. Sandiegosd

I guess it's just that Lenovo don't want the new generations to eat in the sales of last generation machines so they're just intentionally putting off the new ones

6. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've recently been considering this new Yoga as an alternative to the Cintiq, with its big screen and dedicated graphics.
    For now I'm under the impression that this new Wacom tech is inferior to the traditional tech, which makes me reluctant. I'd love to see more artist impressions using this Active ES digitiser.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This thread has a bunch of information and tests on the pen tech:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...-toshiba-encore-2-wt8-b-encore-2-write.63815/

That doesn't mean it will identical to the 15.6" version, but the technology does appear to hold a fair bit of promise.

8. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

Since these active pens are going to be battery powered, I hope there is at least a rechargeable version, along the lines of the Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus 2 for iPad. I'm really not a fan of batteries, especially AAAA.

9. Tea and crumpets

Tea and crumpets Scribbler - Standard Member

Rechargeable AAAA batteries? If longevity is the concern N-Trig pens have been said to last several months/more than a year with heavy use.

10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Having tried this new wacom pen with battery, I am a fan. Its pretty accurate and none of this edge nonsense that prior wacom EMR solutions had.