ThinkPad Yoga 15 (2015) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by cookies4you, Jan 11, 2015.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Much less. Sorry about not proofreading my cut and paste!

2. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

@surfaceproartist

Sounds nice. I'm waiting to see what pen tech MS sticks with for the SP4, however. Unless N-Trig can somehow beat back Wacom, I wouldn't be surprised if MS jumps ship.

(On another note, for some odd reason, I'm willing to buy a Surface Pro 3/4 with integrated graphics, but not an ultrabook without a dedicated GPU. Anyone else encounter this phenomenon? Perhaps it's because I've gotten a taste of Microsoft's excellent build quality from my Surface RT?)

3. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm in the same boat. I think that's because SP3 offers a lot more mobility than an average ultrabook. In fact, I found out that difference between 15" and 13.3" in terms of mobility is far less than difference between ultrabook and SP3. That's why new yogas are so tempting.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Tabtec actually has a video with a view of the new pen for the TPY14 and TPY15, and makes a few quick scribbles. If I understand him correctly, palm rejection wasn't working great, which could be due to the small hover distance. The driver also seems to have issues, see screencap below. Video here.

tpy-activepen.jpg

Edit: close-up of the pen, showing what appears to be a dual side button and no eraser on the back.

upload_2015-1-17_13-1-54.png

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yikes.

6. JoeS

Agreed for now. It got even worse on the next character which was supposed to be some kind of y shape. Lots of digitizer 'noise' it seems. Hope they can improve this. I think so, given the success of the same tech on the Toshiba.

Edit: looking at this more closely, it seemslike the vertical coordinate is misread by 1mm occasionally. No wonder ActivePen demos were so hard to come by!

upload_2015-1-17_13-6-9.png

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ouch.

But, yeah, the tech obviously works elsewhere. The question is whether or not they can get this sorted out before the release in a few weeks.

Lenovo has a pretty good track record. It may come down to driver and firmware updates down the road. All the more reason to wait and watch the early reviewers.

bloodycape likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

kris_jag likes this.
  9. JoeS

Not crazy expensive for Lenovo. Fully loaded it costs E 1725, with i7 and 512GB SSD. New for me, it can handle 16GB memory (2 dimms).

10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

What exactly does it mean Anti Glare?

Does that mean it's going to have that screen protector glued on like the Thinkpad Yoga 12" Version 1? God I really hated that.