ThinkPad Yoga 12 - 2015 edition Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 11, 2015.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

2. bee-man

bee-man Pen Pal - Newbie

Mr Boosh, glad you're still here. I was interested in dual booting to Android, so I tried your recommendation back on page 34. Very nice.

I would like to try and mimic your previous set up, but I am entering unfamiliar territory with Grub boot loader... do you have any links or references on where I can safely download what I need and how to accomplish this? If need be, we can take this offline.

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can send you the Grub bootloader I used. You'd just need to modify the text document to point to a newer install if you're using a newer build of Android-x86.

Shoot me a PM and I can get you everything later when I return home from the holiday.

4. JackP

JackP Pen Pal - Newbie

Got my TY12 right before Thanksgiving and I'm really enjoying it.
    [To Mr. Boosh, the z20t didn't work out in the end (seller notified me there was a screen issue) ]
    Can anyone comment on that there seems to be some kind of screen protector on. Is it meant to be removed or is it meant to stay there permanently, I'm assuming as the "matte, anti-glare". If the latter it wasn't what I was expecting

5. JoeS

Meant to stay on, but some people have removed it and like the glossy screen better. After you take it off you can't put it back on, so better be sure you don't want the matte overlay. Look at the images in post 15 here.

JackP likes this.
  6. Macguyver

Macguyver Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anybody know if the yoga 12 can share a pen with the Cintiq 27" QHD? Or do they use different tech? I want to use this as a companion device, but drive the Cintiq with it. Thanks in advance.

7. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just some feedback for everyone...

I am using my TP Yoga primarily to get into note taking with the stylus and have been doing a pretty good job of it over the last year. What I found was that I using my T540p less and using my TPY for other casual browsing, etc. Got to the point where my T540p remained docked most of it's life. The only time I undocked it was when I went out for meeting our business trips where my T540p has the WWAN which is great when you're on the go, but then I'm carrying both computers. I started to get tired of the redundancy, and the desire of having a lighter tablet was starting to nag at me.

So I thought I'd try the iPad Pro with Pencil, and you know, it's not bad... I've been using it for over a week now and it's kind of fun. I missed some of my old iOS apps and it's great having those back and with my T540p it's like having the best of both worlds. It's obviously not without it's drawbacks, but if you're like me and missed having an iPad, then Pencil makes a good excuse to try one again :)

8. yogauser12

yogauser12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I’m new Yoga 12 user so before I start using it I have some questions:

1. I bought full HD version with Digitizer. Can I erase paintings from the screen using this device or do I need to buy more advanced stylus? If so – which one do you recommend? I want to be sure as I read that it is impossible to use Think Pad Pen Pro with digitizer screen (???)

Were it like this I would be quite angry because it would turn out that buying HD screen and Active Pen separately was a better option.

2. Should I connect AC power adapter when I’ll be using it for the first time? (Question may seem to be stupid, however I want to keep battery in best possible condition – on the other hand when you use computer for the first time you don’t want to have some crucial actions to be terminated by the unexpected shut down.)

3. I read that undervoltage may be helpful to extended battery life – how to do it?

4. I bought 4 GB RAM only – can I upgrade it later? If so – would it be better to use 2x4GB modules or single 8GB module.

5. I decided to have downgrading rights from Win10 to Win7. Did someone do it?

Anyway Yoga seems to be a very nice device.

Thanks for help in advance

Regards

9. JoeS

For the stylus, the built in pen doesn't have an eraser, but many apps will allow you to switch to eraser mode manually. The TPY12 uses traditional Wacom EMR (electromagnetic resonance) like in the X61t, X220t, X230t, Samsung S-Pen, and many other older Wacom enabled tablets, so you can buy one of those that has an eraser on it. This one will work as well but there are many other options available. For a good post with links back to this forum see here.

Connecting AC during install: yes yes yes. All the updates will draw lots of power. It sounds like you're a bit too careful about the battery, I've been completely careless about mine, keeping it plugged in every night since early this year, and the battery wear is shown as 2.5%. That's not worth agonizing over, let alone undervolting.

I don't think you can upgrade the RAM on these, and I haven't tried Win7 either. Anyway, welcome to the forum, and enjoy your TPY12.

10. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

1. Most applications have an erase option. You might also be able to configure the "side-button" on the built-in stylus to act as the erase button. You will need to investigate the "settings" a bit to decide how you want to use it. There are a lot of aftermarket pens that are much more comfortable for extended use.

2. Yes, connect AC when going through all of the initial setup.

3. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. No.

5. I'm not sure anyone would. Win 7 wouldn't be the best experience on the TP Yoga. MS has done so much with touch capability that Win 7 would be a step backwards.