ThinkPad Yoga 12 - 2015 edition Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 11, 2015.

1. JackP

JackP Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm really on the fence about waiting for the 260.
    Maybe the biggest advantage is that the weight is supposed to drop to 2.9 lbs (or "starting at" 2.9 lbs acc. to the Lenovo Product PDF)

On the possibly negative side it has new pen tech and uses a different trackpad.
    Also the screen doesn't go as bright.

If initial pricing is high, and there are deals to be had for the TY12 then..

Also, the 460 should be the same as the 260 - only bigger, so why is BB selling that configuration so cheap?
    And how is Lenovo shaving off half a pound or more? (and they're even claimimg more battery life!)

2. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

Given Lenovo's history of product announcements and roll outs, you could be in for a long wait for the 260. Usually the minimum version ships first followed by the premium options getting added later, it could be another 6 months, that's a long time to wait. Even then as you said, you might "still" be better off with a TPY 12.

I remember buying my first gen TPY 12 for $600 on eBay last year and couldn't believe how cheap such a great product was.

3. JackP

JackP Pen Pal - Newbie

Right now the highest configured TY12 is $1,629 and give or take $100 that's what I'm seeing all over the Web.
    [It has: i7 5600, 8GB 256GB & W8.1 Pro & the stylus]
    I've seen it as low as $1,275 in a couple of places (one w/o tax for me)

Assuming I am willing to wait, does it look like the 260 will have more aggressive pricing and would have a similarly configured model in the $1,300 range (I would guess not, but would appreciate the feedback)
    Maybe BB will have a cheaper model like the the 14/460 they're selling now? (in fact maybe I should go for that one instead and save $200 - do the Wacom EMR, Win Pro & i7 make it a better deal? I'm not sure any of the three, except maybe the Wacom EMR is that crucial to me)

4. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

Check out the Lenovo outlet site (outlet.lenovo.com). You can find refurbed and scratch and dent TPY12s there at a good discount. The stuff goes and changes quickly, so check it out every few days.

CNET says that the 260 will start at $949. http://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-260/

You should head to a BB and try the Wacom AES on the BB 460. Honestly, I think it's a little more accurate than EMR and no issues on the edge. But I've only used it on the demo units. Only drawback in my eyes is that you have a lot of options for pens using EMR.

Replying from a TPY12 (1st gen).

5. koz2050

I personally do not believe the 260 will be more aggressively priced. With Lenovo's discounting/coupon stuff they do it would be hard to believe they'll go much cheaper. The upgrades might be more aggressive, like adding the FHD Panel, etc., but overall their pricing is pretty consistent within their product lines from one cycle to the next (or so it seems to me anyway).

I remember buying by TPY 12 (Gen 2) on a 35 or 40% coupon, it was under 1k for the i5/8gb model with FHD display. Actually, just double-checked it, it was $902 before tax, and looking at the Lenovo Site, they have it at 35% off and the same config as I ordered back in March is $912.

That's a pretty killer price on this thing. FHD IPS Display, 8GB of ram (even though it's soldered on, it should be plenty) and the upgradability of the drives and Wacom Pen support.

JoeS likes this.
  6. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm cool with the TPY 260 and 460. Keep those.

But honestly, Lenovo should throw one more into the mix that drops the screen dimension a little more to 11.6" or 10.8" and focuses on lightest weight possible with Core M5/7 and pen input.

I'm still waiting for the Yoga that gets down to a manageable light weight and fantastic keyboard that's not removable.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

For that we have the rumored Yoga Pro 900 configuration with digitizer (?) which might appear within the year.

8. koz2050

A Thinkpad Yoga "Mini" would be pretty cool.

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

If atleast the be interested, for sure. But smaller than 11.6" please. 10", 10.6". Spent hung like that. Maybe 2 lbs? With a pen, thinkpad keyboard, and a trackpoint.

Honestly, what I really just wanted was for the Thinkpad Tablet 10 to fully dock into its keyboard and be capable of being a clamshell. That would have been perfect. Very close. The TT10 is a great little machine.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member