Thinkpad Yoga (1080p, wacom model) vs Wacom Cintiq 13HD

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by FinancialWar, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FinancialWar

FinancialWar Scribbler - Standard Member

They are about the same size and the same resolution, so I wonder if the Wacom technology on the Thinkpad Yoga's screen is exactly the same as the more professional 13HD?

If I buy the 13HD stylus, will I be able to use it on the Yoga and achieve the same result? (Ignore the external stuffs like the keyboard on the Yoga or the side buttons on the 13HD, I just want to the if the screen technology is the same or not)

Thanks for reading.

2. balistic

balistic wacom jock

The Yoga and the 13HD are based on different iterations of Wacom's technology, and they aren't hardware-compatible with each other. You can find nice chunky pens that are compatible with the Yoga, but you will be working with 256 levels of pressure (interpolated to 1024) instead of 2048, and you won't get pen-tilt sensitivity. Wacom's pens that are specifically for the the 13 HD won't work on the Yoga. Anything compatible with "Penabled" tablet PCs will (such as Wacom's Bamboo FEEL stylus, which is what I use with my Thinkpad).

3. FinancialWar

So for pure drawing, Wacom 13HD would be superior to the Yoga?

4. balistic

balistic wacom jock

Marginally. I've been a professional artist for 15 years and I do just fine with a Yoga. Some artists who do very controlled line art with lots of variation in line weight prefer the Cintiq. The Cintiq also has an advantage in its easy to reach shortcut buttons.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

5. FinancialWar

But if I buy a Razer Orbweaver and use AutoHotKey to assign shortcut buttons, I will have way more shortcut buttons than Cintiq.

6. balistic

balistic wacom jock

That's true. I use a Shuttle Xpress controller by Contour Design for that purpose. I have the outer ring controlling zoom, and the inner jog dial controlling brush size, with the surface buttons set as modifier keys, as well as undo/redo. I actually almost never need it when I'm using Sketchbook Pro, but it does come in handy in Photoshop. If I were doing most of my painting in PS I'd probably want something with even more buttons.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. FinancialWar

Bamboo feel only have one button. Is there a thick stylus with two button that I can use with Thinkpad Yoga?

8. Tim Q

Tim Q Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.