Thinkpad X220 Tablet vs. HP 2760p Tablet?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by WilliamCarter, May 27, 2011.

1. WilliamCarter

WilliamCarter Pen Pal - Newbie

So in a couple months I will finally have gotten about $1500 which I want to use to buy a new Tablet to replace my Acer One D-250 Netbook (1.6Ghz Atom, 2Gb of ram) and my Asus x83 Gaming laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz, ATI 4650 1Gb, 4Gb DDR2) and I was wondering if I should get the Thinkpad X220T or the HP 2760P? I draw a lot and need something that can be held in the hands in Tablet mode well and isn't too heavy, I know they both have the Intel HD 3000 Integrated graphics that's about about equivalent to an Nvidia 9400/9500M or an ATI 5450 which should be close enough to the ATI 4650 in my X83 to play some games (CS:S, WoW, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Killing Floor, Sims 3) at 'Ok' settings, Speaker quality is also an issue, I'd like some speakers that don't sound worse than my damn phone speaker like the one that was in my Fujitsu ST5112 (R.I.P). Viewing angles are a major thing for me and I'm hoping that in this day and age these two tablets have decent enough screens and viewing angles to suit my needs... So which would you guys recommend, the X220 or the 2760p? or something else? Thanks.

2. WilliamCarter

Also I might as well fill one of these out for good measure :)

1. What is your budget?
    $1000 - $1500

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    If it was in very good condition

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Compact ~ 10"
    Mainstream ~ 12.1"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    U.S.A.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    As long as it's a good tablet overall I don't really care.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    5-10+ hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Drawing = Main purpose, Light - Medium Gaming, Entertainment.

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    Don't care, I will be installing Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    MyPaint, Sai, GIMP, Autodesk Maya, Second Life

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    CS:S, WoW, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Killing Floor, Sims 3

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would say the 2760p because it maintains a very small footprint (the smallest of any business class convertible Tablet PC), while keeping a smooth and even bottom (the X220t has a 'battery hump' that sticks down .5" and out the back 1" which makes it a pain to use -I had a more uniform 'battery hump' on the Tm2 I had previously and it sucked, it always got in the way). then you can get a thin [1/4"] and smooth bottomed slice battery for the 2760p (the Lenovo's is overly large and it is oddly shaped, and the lenovo's does not allow use of the slice battery + dock, while the HP does), as well as a slim dock [1/4"] that is also flat smooth on the bottom (Lenovo's dock is over 1" at the back and it has a angle to it which means only laptop mode is feasible)

I find the slice battery or the slim dock are often on my 2730p so I can lay it down on any surface and not have to worry about covering the vents, plus it gets the bonus features of either (the slightly more than doubled battery life with the slim battery, or with the full)

Then there are little things like the HP having a very useful keyboard light (great for typing in a dark room where you need to see better, but don't want to turn a light on/ disturb others), a trackpad with actual buttons (if you are going to try and game on the computer, or even use it for general things, you will want separate buttons as a trackpad with integrated buttons does not allow right click and left click simultaneously, and it is buggy when you want it to be perfect -the X220t has the trackpad with integrated buttons), a screen latch with screen 'catches; on the side (the lenovo has a rather weak mechanical mechanism in the hinge that will give about 10 degrees of movement even when it should be closed/ in tablet mode, the HP will be rock solid -it won't shift around unless you really push it around), and it has a far better screen aspect ration (especially true for a artist, as the HP is a 16:10 ratio with 1280x800, and the Lenovo is 16:9 with 1366x768 so it has 32 less vertical pixels [.3" less of vertical screen space by comparison], that really matters when in portrait mode, and even in landscape mode as it takes away from where there already was little)

In truth there is even more wrong with the X220t as Lenovo seems to have made a lot of careless choices in putting it together (The HP isn't perfect, but the Lenovo is a lot further from perfect)... I'm sure if you got the Lenovo you would 'be fine with its issues' but I was fine with the Tm2's issues, until I just couldn't stand the stupid choices they made with it (battery hump, no actual screen latch, trackpad with integrated buttons, bad screen, ect...), the HP can come with a AFFS+ screen which is top dog in terms of screen quality, and usability in many situations (the AFFS+ screen is the 'outdoor optional' screen offered by HP, and you can get it with touch; the X220t on the other hand has a IPS screen in all models and it has inferior quality on all fronts -there are tons of posts about this, and user testimony http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/41601-x220t-pen-input-screen-edge-sensitivity.html that the IPS in the X220t is significantly worse than the X201t's AFFS+ screen that is very close to the HP's AFFS+ option)

maybe I'm a bit biased because of my 2730p, but with the 2760p being nearly identical it would quite simply be a stunning machine with pretty much all you could ask for; I don't have a X220t, but from the specs, design, and user impressions it needs to be improved a lot more before it can be taken as a serious alternative to the HP 2760p of the Fujitsu T901 [13.3" screen, one that is always amazing -right up there with AFFS+] or T731 [12.1" screen, the good screen as an option, but it is as good as the T901's screen]

4. primexx

primexx Scribbler - Standard Member

^ how long is the battery life with just the main battery and also with the slice battery?

5. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can't say for sure that the 2760p will attain the exact same battery life with these batteries, but to give you an idea of what my 2730P will do:

Main battery (2009, 10.1% wear): 3:30 to 4:00, power saver, Wi-Fi on
    Slice battery (2008, "0%" wear): roughly 10:00 combined with main battery, power saver, Wi-Fi on

I couldn't believe it myself, but for general viewing, it'll definitely last a while with that slice battery. Increasing the workload would drain the batteries faster, of course, but it's safe to say that you won't be worrying about battery life too much during a work day.

Also note that these batteries are a few years old, and lithium-ion batteries always deteriorate from the moment of manufacture. A 2760p with brand new, recently manufactured batteries could fare even better. (By the way, they're the same exact batteries used ever since the 2710p. This keeps 2710p and 2730p users from worrying too much about future battery availability...)

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think there are any 'official numbers' on the 2760p yet (and I haven't seen any reviews on it), it should be quite similar to a 2730p

With my 2730p with doing nothing it reports 6hrs at lowest all settings and everything off, it gets about 5 hrs of decent use with wi-fi off @ low brightness, right about 4 hrs of moderate use [little bit higher brightness, wifi on, and actively browsing the web in a few tabs, as well as a few small applications like word open and being used], and the more you do from there the less battery life you get (as it is in my sig, 8GB DDR2 ram, 250GB 5400 1.8" HDD, ect... with only the main battery -which is worn down 6%)... mind you I've done some tweaks and such, though not much

With the slice battery it is a bit more than double those numbers (my main battery is a 4400Whr battery worn down 6%, and my slice batteries are 4600Whr batteries worn down 1%)... To avoid excessive discharging I first drain the slice battery to about 40%, then take it off, then drain the main battery to about 40%, if I need more juice than that I will put the slice back on and drain it to 20% and then drain the main to 20% and move in increments like that (doing so gives me more than enough battery life to last through most days, and it avoids any unnecessary battery wear -unless I'm mistaken Lithium ion batteries don't wear out as fast if they are usually drained by 60% or less)

EDIT: gah! beaten to it while spam patrolling... oh well

7. WilliamCarter

So overall you guys would recommend the 2760p? Is there any others I should know of?

8. NamelessPlayer

You could also look into the Fujitsu Lifebook T901 with the NVIDIA NVSTM 4200 option, if you don't mind a size increase to 13.3"...but what I don't know is how well it would fare battery-life wise with the main battery + modular bay battery.

If I had to pick a Sandy Bridge-generation 12" convertible, though, it would unquestionably be the HP 2760p, especially now that they're using more common 2.5" drives (albeit with a 7mm height limit). Should be easier to get a good SSD that way.

9. WilliamCarter

I think 13.3in is too big for me, I had a 14in Toshiba Tecra M7 and it was way too big for what I wanted... Sure wish someone made a 10in convertible like the TC1100 but with modern hardware...

10. Rigel

Rigel Scribbler - Standard Member

Hrm playing some of the games you quoted you wanted to play or run some of the programs on a 10"... I think that maybe a bit rough. I find my 11.4 inch screen too small most of the time.

11. f4ah

f4ah Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't really know what i'm talking about so correct me if i'm wrong..

The x220t is the only one of the three that I can confirm through google searching to support Sata3 ssd's at full 6gb/s speed. Info is a bit scarce on the 2760p and t901 but if they are only Sata2 there will be a significant bottleneck there with some drives currently on the market such as the ocz agility 3. The agility 3's theoretical max read/write is 525MB/s and 500MB/s respectively. Max bandwidth of Sata2 is only 280-300MB/s. It's probably rare that the ocz ssd reaches speeds that fast, just in short bursts on a full moon, but ssd's in the near future might be able to sustain speeds well above sata2 limits. Seems like something worth considering if you're going to drop the big bucks on a tablet and pricey ssd.

12. WilliamCarter

Nah I'll probably stick with the HDD maybe upgrade to SSD later, but I don't think I need anything faster than 300Mb/s though!

13. benoit

benoit Pen Pal - Newbie

I wanna change my hp 2710p for one of these tablets.
    The hp 2710p was very quiet. The silence is very important for my job?
    Which tablet is the quietest? hp 2760p or thinkpad X220T.
    Thanks for your answer!

14. NamelessPlayer

That could be a point in favor of the X220t, but my reasons for really not liking the X220t boil down to this:

-Worse screen resolution. 1366x768 is going to be REALLY narrow in portrait orientation, moreso than 1280x800 already is.
    -Poor battery design. The main battery doesn't cover the entire back of the system, and the slice battery doesn't cover the entire bottom, either (unlike the X220s).

I'd be highly surprised if any Sandy Bridge-based convertible didn't have SATA III, though. Wouldn't be good design sense.

15. MobiusPizza

MobiusPizza Pen Pal - Newbie

They all use new Intel Q67 chipsets, it is almost 100% certain that they will all support SATA3

16. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Good review and information, until I read this post I was looking at either an X220 tablet or a Fujitsu T901 or an HP 2760p tablet - now at least my choice is between a Fujitsu T901 and an HP 2760p..

How do either of these machines deal with large illustrator complex vector files?

I've been happy with my older machines but as my vector artwork requirements have moved up and up recently, I'm finding myself bumping into cpu intensive number crunch files which really slow my older machines down.

17. alex.db

alex.db Pen Pal - Newbie

in reality, the only real difference you will notice will come from the processor speed, which when customized, is pretty much the same in both machines.

The big difference between the two is screen size and bulk, with the T901 being large in width, height and depth. If you are going to be using vectors and what-not, I would suggest you use a dedicated graphics tablet and external monitor anyway. I nice wacom intuos4 has 2048 pressure points + tild detection and costs about $350 for a medium size unit (good for monitors up to 30").

Out of the two machines I would say the 2760p is the better though, although I can't personally confirm it, it's apparently got a much "sturdier" feel than the T901. I should have mine in about 2 weeks :D

18. doobiedoobiedum

To be honest, I have a Wacom Intous that's stayed pretty much in its box for the last 5 years. I knew before I even handed the payment over that I hated the disconnect of looking at the screen while drawing elsewhere.

However, when using illustrator or inkscape (inkscape is the worst CPU hog) I tend not to use pressure sensitivity anyway - so maybe I could look at a large touchscreen monitor to use with my desktop... (designing for print fabric means working in solid tones anyway for silk-screen transfer)

Wonder what the tracking and accuracy is like on those things..

Apologies for derailing. I should start a thread on this.

19. alex.db

alex.db Pen Pal - Newbie

It's normal when you first buy it to feel awkward when drawing, however if you persist with it you will find it to be a very useful asset.

20. doobiedoobiedum

Thanks but I'm more likely to buy one of those Wacom conversion kits - if I ever find one to trust that is. I originally bought up a tablet pc because I didn't like the disconnect.

I probably never had the patience to persist.