ThinkPad X12: The X1 Tablet successor

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 5, 2020.

1. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Lenovo is bringing out a new Surface-Pro-style detachable soon. It is called "ThinkPad X12 Gen 1" and it is the indirect successor of the X1 Tablet, which was discontinued.

The X12 was first mentioned in a roadmap leak. The roadmap did not divulge many details about it, but it did indicate 3 things: 1. Lenovo was planning a new 12 inch detachable; 2. The X12 would be out in October; 3. The X12 would feature 10 nm Tiger Lake CPUs.

A second leak has now revealed that the X12 is the 12 inch detachable mentioned in the first leak. In terms of specs, the only thing really we can gather from this leak is the size and weight and that it will feature a LTE card. Also, the battery capacity seems to be 30 Wh.

Here is the first, very blurry & low res picture of the X12:

X12.PNG
    A Lenovo partner in the German ThinkPad forum has said that the X12 will feature a 12.3 inch 400 nit FHD screen in the 3:2 format (so probably 1,920 x 1,280). This means it will probably be more affordable than the X1 Tablet was.

Since it will feature Tiger Lake and the battery capacity seems quite small, I guess it will contain the lower-powered UP4 kind, which used to be the Y series.

JoeS and dellaster like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the info, @ibmthink :thumbsup:

Coincidentally, I have a seller refurbished 2nd gen X1 Tablet on it’s way to me right now ($375 Ebay). I had 2 Surface Pros in the past—gen 2 & 4—and I did like the second one w/m3 CPU before it black-screened and got refunded. So I figured I would try something similar but with a ThinkPad keyboard for consistency with my X1 Extreme gen 2. I’ll see if I can get Linux working on it, too, later this month when I finish my motorcycle camping tour. :cool:

Perhaps I will be in the market for an X12 one day if the X1 Tablet works out.

sonichedgehog360 and ibmthink like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm just glad they're back in the tablet/detachable game. I'm not ready for making the X1 Fold my main machine, and I'm sure the X1 Fold will be too expensive for a second machine.

Kind of disappointed that (if true) the 13.5" yoga version called X1 Titanium is still 'heavy' at 2.9lbs, despite having only a 42Wh battery. Not terrible, but not great. Edit: oh, you made a separate thread.

The laptop version X1 Nano (X1 Carbon successor?) is more impressive at 13" (16:10!), 48Wh, 2.1 lbs. Now we're talking.

4. dellaster

I wonder if it’s the MilSpec requirement that increases the weight a bit on ThinkPads? A light, more flimsy construction wouldn’t be rugged enough?

Also, I’m sure the serviceability adds some weight. Assuming these new ones are serviceable, with easy access to interior parts.

JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

All of the above, plus the yoga mechanism adds some weight. Actually according to the more lively Reddit discussion started by the very same @ibmthink the Titanium is advertised as having "high end graphics", so one commenter is speculating that it may have a dGPU which would also add weight.

dellaster likes this.
  6. dellaster

Reminds me of Lisa’s (@MobileTechReview) amusing comment in her review of the X1 Tablet gen 2 after describing it’s feel, starting @1:20:

"This one feels like you could bash a burglar with it...”​

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.