ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2018 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 8, 2018.

1. lampuiho

lampuiho Pen Pal - Newbie

Why would you want this over the Yoga 730 though? This thing is way more expensive but offer less.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

X1Y3 has fantastic display, arguably the best laptop keyboard, trackpoint, LTE - and business-class build quality, repairability & service.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Thank you. It’s also significantly lighter and thinner- beyond the fact that it’s a 14” device. The newer retractable keyboard makes a big difference.

The 15.6” 730 has price and screen size going for it. Both are not to be denied, but it’s not like it’s a clear shot to choosing it over something as top of the line as the TYX1. I wish the Thinkpad had a 15” screen. That would seal the deal to me.

kneehowguys and Starlight5 like this.
  4. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

15 inch thinkpad x1 yoga would be drool worthy. With something better than intel integrated graphics. Wish they would go and steal that awesome and extremely bright 3:2 surface book 2 15 inch screen

3:2 portrait mode >>>>>> 16:9 portrait mode for notetaking, comics, most images, who needs a long tall hotdog shaped portrait mode

Price- I'm too addicted to old school trackpoint. I'm willing to lose an arm to get it. Very nice to have on a bus or plane ride.
    But I lost hope and fell prey to the surface book cult.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. blm08

blm08 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it still worth to buy a 2nd gen X1 Yoga ? There is an offer available for about 2/3 of the price of the 3rd gen model...

I'm concerned about the pen support, can I use the same active pen version ? Is the handwriting as good as the 3rd gen model ?

6. Starlight5

@blm08 pen is the same afaik, but CPUs & top display option are much worse than on X1Y3. If you don't care about display brightness, both modern L380 Yoga and older Thinkpad Yoga 370 with same CPUs as X1Y2 offer much better value for their prices; if you do care, there's no way around X1Y3.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    JoeS likes this.
  7. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

x1 yoga 3 has 500 nit hdr option no?
    is the consensus it sucks? am curious

8. Starlight5

Yes.
    Other than not being 3:2 like most convertible laptops, and noticeably heavier than X1C6 which lacks Yoga hinges & pen support - I don't think so.

JoeS likes this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I just keep liking your posts, because they save me the effort of typing the exact same thing. :D

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I was curious how pen input is on these newer models- its the 2nd or 3rd gen AES pen tech, right? I've been doing work on my Yoga 14 (the best buy model), and while the pen has never been stellar, I get a lot of cursor jumping. I don't know why, and have wondered if the problem has been exacerbated since I had a faulty hinge. It makes working hard sometimes. Needless to say, the idea of the superbright HDR screen (I work in the field), plus the newer, improved pen would be nice. I'm still getting some vectoring and such in OneNote, as well as the cursor jump. Such a crazy pita.

Looking for new answers.