ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2018 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 8, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Unfortunately not, piles of old tech yes, piles of laptop parts no. I hope this doesn't mean that you will be eternally disappointed! :)

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. X1 Yogi Hopeful

X1 Yogi Hopeful Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much!! I tweeted at Lisa for extra clarity and she said she loved the keyboard and couldn't notice a meaningful difference from the carbon... So that problem is more or less solved (total trust in Lisa!). Now the hard part - actually committing!! I'll update with my decision and when I get the system - thanks a lot for the quick response, Joe!

JoeS likes this.
  3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2018 (Core i5-8250U, FHD) Convertible Review
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...i5-8250U-FHD-Convertible-Review.299148.0.html

Pros

+excellent build quality
    +versatile modes
    +well-balanced keyboard
    +good security options
    +great port selection w/ 2x Thunderbolt 3
    +accurate and comfortable TrackPoint
    +good color accuracy
    +no PWM
    +blazing fast storage
    +excellent performance without much sacrifice in fan noise or heat
    +very slim, portable chassis
    +great battery life
    +included stylus is recharged by the laptop
    +retractable keyboard works well

Cons

-on the pricey side
    -mediocre color space coverage
    -heavy for a 2-in-1
    -display is a bit too dim
    -problems with glare
    -thin and unpleasant speakers
    -somewhat awkward to use in tablet mode due to size
    -no dedicated volume keys make volume adjustment cumbersome in tablet mode

Verdict
    [​IMG]
    In review: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga. Review unit courtesy of Lenovo.
    We held the Core i7 HDR variant of the 2018 X1 Yoga in a positive light. We lauded its well-built chassis, good performance, and quiet operation but took some issue with its high price tag. At USD $2400, that model of the X1 Yoga may be out of the price range of most users. At $600 less, the Core i5 FHD model is better for the budget while maintaining most of the niceties of the more expensive model.

The performance difference between the Core i5-8250U and Core i7-8550U is negligible at best. As such, most users won't see any noticeable change by dropping the CPU down. Rather than investing in a slightly faster processor, potential buyers should put that money toward the HDR WQHD display, which is about $170 more. The more expensive panel doubles the brightness and has nearly unparalleled contrast and color reproduction. The best configuration available would be a pairing of the Core i5-8250U and WQHD HDR display.

The Core i5 variant of the X1 Yoga retains the best pieces from its more expensive brother while cutting costs. for $600 less, the Core i5 FHD X1 Yoga offers similar performance wrapped in the same excellent chassis. If you are hunting for a business-class convertible and can forego a 5% bump in processing power for the HDR screen, this is the machine to get.

JoeS likes this.
  4. JoeS

For those lucky / formerly rich folks who own an X1 Yoga 3rd gen AND who once fell prey to the dream of Windows Phone (two slightly embarrassed people raise their hands):

Today I connected the complimentary Microsoft Display Dock (freebie with the purchase of a Lumia 950/950XL at the time) to a Thunderbolt port on my X1 Yoga, and lo and behold, I have a perfect looking 1920x1200 native resolution on my Dell monitor. Typing this on a Lenovo compact keyboard connected to my X1Y via the display dock. Not bad for a 'free' dock.

Downside: it won't keep the Yoga charged, since that requires 20V while the HD500 dock only offers 5V. Still, that means I can use the dock for about seven hours straight on a fully charged X1Y3. Not too bad, given that I rarely work that long in a row while at home. Upside: I might connect my Lumia 950XL to the dock once in a while for the heck of it. :D

5. JoeS

PSA: the Windows 10 April update may break your Lenovo color profile settings. My panel is set to the hyper saturated "Native", and selecting any other mode doesn't affect the color anymore.

6. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Does the Windows 10 April Update enable HDR?

7. JoeS

It should, but it sounds like the X1Y3 has some problems with that, see this post.

8. JoeS

9. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

Never thought I'd see the day... :)

After another month with it, impressions?? Still the same negatives?

Also looking for input on the HDR screen vs Non HDR as it's overall quality and maybe how it might impact battery life. I've always placed a premium on great displays, but I'm not convinced on the HDR display just yet.

Also, the Gen 2's on the outlet are looking pretty tempting as well. I know there's much more bang for the CPU buck on the Gen 3's, but given the Gen 4 with chip fixes next year maybe it's better to go 1/2 in versus all in at this point...

10. JoeS

A few other people have chimed in with first impressions here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...1-Yoga-3rd-gen-First-impressions/td-p/4030494

Overall for me the first impressions still hold. Heat isn't much of a problem because I rarely make it work all that hard during 'lap work'. The clacky cursor keys may be a one-off, I haven't seen anyone else complain about this. For me the biggest gripe is the crazy color calibration when set to Lenovo's 'Native' color profile. The 'Normal' profile is way better, but the April Win10 update killed all the other profiles, so we're stuck with oversaturated colors right now. That's bad. I maintain that this system could stand to lose some weight and it could use a smaller aspect ratio screen, but overall it's very good.

Starlight5 likes this.