ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2018 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 8, 2018.

1. jtpeace

jtpeace Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll say that I like Windows Hello much more than I thought I would. The screen could be brighter, but for my use it's stunning. I've had a couple of pen input lags while teaching. I don't know if the lag is software or hardware based. It's a minor annoyance, but it's annoying enough that I'd like to see it end. One annoyance aside -- wow - what an awesome machine!

JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Lisa’s X1Y3 review is up:

dellaster likes this.
  3. jtpeace

jtpeace Pen Pal - Newbie

I just watched her review. As always she did a good job. She even made me (just for a second) regret getting the non-HDR screen.

4. JoeS

Agreed, but I had kind of wanted her to call out the fact that the weight of the X1Y has not gone down in three generations. The X380 is basically the same weight which is just not right! The HDR screen does seem to be a quality component.

5. JoeS

Lisa's X1Y3 vs. SB2 "smackdown" video is up:

6. OldFox

OldFox Pen Pal - Newbie

According to notebookcheck.net, the WQHD has a smaller gamut than the original 2016 OLED variant.

X1 Yoga 2018 (88% AdobeRGB):
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...50U-HDR-WQHD-Convertible-Review.289922.0.html

X1 Yoga 2016 (98% AdobeRGB):
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-OLED-Convertible-Review.169458.0.html

Also they report that the WQHD display has uneven color reproduction. In retrospect, the WQHD screen is not better than the OLED is screen other than the brightness. Too bad they removed the OLED option.

ikjadoon likes this.
  7. JoeS

First impressions by a new X1 Yoga 3rd Gen owner and former ThinkPad Yoga 12 user:

The good
    - specs, ports, looks, trackpoint, super bright screen, fingerprint reader, full size keys
    - no more sticky tape on the webcam thanks to the included shutter
    - great looking screen. Glossy, yet I can't really see my reflection in a reasonably well lit room unless the screen is dark/black
    - trackpad click is really nice and quiet, and the trackpad is very responsive, and way larger than on the TPY12
    - the case and the palm rest have a nice soft touch, less metallic than the TPY12
    - the keyboard indicators (caps lock, mute, FnLock) are white instead of red on the TPY12. Nice, looks less alarming.
    - the fan has more of a 'whoosh' sound as opposed to more of a whine on the TPY12
    - the thunderbolt/USB-C charging cable is nice and slim. A notable improvement.
    - the screen feels nice to the touch for scrolling

The bad
    - the yoga hinge has a bit of a 'snap' to it as it reaches 270deg, where it starts retracting the keys. Feels kind of broken.
    - some keys are pretty loud and clacky on release, especially the cursor keys. Way louder than my TYP12
    - it gets hot very quickly during only moderate CPU work (few percent)
    - it can get very hot, as in 'uncomfortable to hold' when working hard (indexing large Groove collection)
    - in media mode / stand mode, the fan blows the hot air right onto your privates. Bye bye offspring.
    - it came with one of those metallic Intel stickers on the palm rest, ugh
    - the shiny black ThinkPad logo in palm rest seems tacky to me.
    - smudges stand out pretty quickly on the glossy screen
    - the lid fits a lower aspect ratio screen, maybe 16:10 or even 3:2. Business users need to see more of the document.
    - fingerprint reader is reliable for me, but a bit slow. Like a good full second before it registers. Edit: there's now (Aug 2018) finally a fix.
    - so very very expensive

The ugly
    - Too heavy at 3.08 lbs at this price point. This shouldn't be half a pound heavier than the equivalent X1 Carbon
    - the location of the microSD slot on the back and behind a cover is insane. If you swap cards a lot, this will be an annoyance
    - finding a bunch of preinstalled children's games on a ThinkPad is embarrassing

Overall I like how speedy it is and the screen is awesome, but the heat and the clacky keyboard are standout negatives to me.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  8. X1 Yogi Hopeful

X1 Yogi Hopeful Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi JoeS - I am searching high and low for a x1 yoga to demo in-store but cannot find one anywhere! So I settled on making an account just to ask you these question: how different is this keyboard from an x1 carbon? Is the keyboard feel (not necessarily the sound) significantly worse than other thinkpad models? Is the keyboard shallower than other thinkpads, and do you notice the difference? Does the varied clackiness of the keyboard mean that the feel of the keys is uneven across the whole layout?

Thanks so much for your reply - my old thinkpad died and I need to replace it ASAP, but don't want to pay the 15% restocking fee just to try (and reject) a cheap-feeling keyboard. THANK YOU!

9. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@JoeS do you by chance have an Intel 18260/18265 WLAN card lying around, and can test if WiGiG is even recognized? I would be eternally grateful!

10. JoeS

Hi there, welcome to the forum! Overall the keyboard is very good, and most keys are fairly quiet. Unfortunately on mine the space bar and the cursor keys are a little loud on release, and those are exactly the keys I use most. I haven't heard anyone else complain about this, so my guess is that this varies from unit to unit. Or maybe I'm just very picky! The feel of the keys is consistent, it's just the sound they make on release that varies a little. Unfortunately I don't have an X1 Carbon to compare with. As for key travel, I think it's standard for Lenovo keyboards from recent years, in that sense it doesn't feel different than my older TP Yoga 12. Have a look at Lisa's review, she usually spends some time on discussing the keyboard. Also visit the Lenovo forums and search for posts about the keyboard. It's a fairly new system, so there may not be that much though. Good luck deciding. Overall I like the system a lot.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    X1 Yogi Hopeful and Starlight5 like this.