ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2018 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 8, 2018.

1. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

Currently only 10% off through Corporate Perks with a 5x point bonus, not too tempting. Once they bump that discount up and do a 12x point it’s going to be too hard to pass up.

Matte vs Glossy though...why do they make me have to choose! Ugh.

2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exercise patience until this summer. That's what I'm doing :)

JoeS likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's the right thing to do. The 9th gen processors supposedly will have hardware based fixes for Spectre and Meltdown, meaning no performance hit. As much as I like this year's Lenovo offerings, it doesn't make sense to buy right now unless you absolutely need a new laptop.

I can't believe I am still using a phone and a laptop from the year 2015, what is happening to me?!! :D

Bronsky and Starlight5 like this.
  4. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@JoeS I might sit this one out as well, with latest Lenovo machines being very uncertain in terms of 802.11ad support (official answer is strict NO) and definitely incapable of 802.11ay when becomes available, hopefully by the end of the year. Meanwhile, my TPY260 will soon be celebrating 1-year anniversary - reassembled it today, after tightening the hinges. (=

5. JoeS

Out of curiosity, how would you use this shiny new 802.11ad support? Seems like it mostly offers huge wifi speeds. Do you often run up against limitations of current hardware? For my my lowly 802.11ac is already faster than my home internet connection, and I have gigabit ethernet at work, so for me it makes zero difference.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@JoeS 802.11ad is not shiny new, but rather obsolete and phased out. (=

In my opinion, 802.11ad is only usable for wireless docking - because of line-of-sight requirement - and that with caveats. The major problem is, existing 802.11ad docking stations officially don't support 4K@60p on a single monitor - let alone two of them; you're basically stuck with 2560x1600 on single monitor or up to 1920x1200 on two, at least according to their datasheets.

Now, I personally need it mostly for HDDs and quality USB soundcard; it is the only existing solution at the moment that delivers high quality sound with reliably non-existant latency over wireless. Also, it's pretty nice to stream a movie to TV while doing some work on the notebook - across the room, yet without any cables or lags.

Of course, properly configured NAS can probably do everything I described - except for the sound part, that is; however, NAS will cost much more, occupy more space, require some management and maintenance - unlike WiGiG dock, which just works. Another issue with NAS - I strongly rely on Everything, which requires NTFS volumes - definitely a suboptimal setup for NAS. Most people don't care about these things though, and obvious cons of WiGiG outweigh the pros for them, especially given outrageous official prices the equipment was originally sold for. eBay, however, allows to get everything pretty cheap.

I personally see two possible upgrade paths in the future: 802.11ay for similar wireless docking functionality (preferable, but there's no guarantee it will ever be implemented, given how quickly 802.11ad wireless docking fell into oblivion), or NAS for storage&video + Bluetooth 5 for sound (however, I have my doubts whether the latter will be able to provide comparable experience).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    JoeS likes this.
  7. jtpeace

jtpeace Pen Pal - Newbie

I received an X1 yesterday and used it today in my classroom. I am a happy teacher.

JoeS likes this.
  8. JoeS

Which model did you get? Did you get the fancy 500nits screen?

9. jtpeace

jtpeace Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't get the HDR screen, but mine is the i7 16 512. The screen is beautiful!

JoeS and Starlight5 like this.
  10. JoeS

Nice! I found out today that you can have either the hires 500nits and no Windows Hello, or the hires 300nits screen with Windows Hello, at least on the config page I looked at. Tough choice.