ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2018 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 8, 2018.

1. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. kneehowguys

I do wonder sometimes if eGPU's are the future and I should just jump on the bandwagon. Finally my 1996 Etch-E-Sketch will have the full power of a GTX 1080

I never watched 4k video until I got a 55 inch 4k TV. On a big screen, 4k youtube videos seem to look much better than 1080p ones though sometimes I wonder how much of that is because
    - The youtube uploader himself's video compression
    - YouTube's video compression
    - And the fact that if someone uploads a 4k video, he may have better hardware overall / maybe youtube doesn't nerf the video as much? and the quality losses from the above two things might not be as great?

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

kneehowguys likes this.
  4. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

I dunoo, the only Surface feature I want to see on Thinkpads is bright 3:2 display. They can keep the dGPU, I'd rather have more battery & connect to eGPU.

5. kneehowguys

As a SB2 user, I find this blasphemous though I wonder if maybe you are right given that the most graphical things I do are when the SB2 is connected to a 4k tv.

Yoga flip on a day to day use is much nicer than waiting for the SB2 to detach.

But that 15 inch detachable 3:2 SB2 tablet is very nice (mainly for play and looking at images while sitting on the porcelain throne though)

Starlight5 and JoeS like this.
  6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That screen is what I will in love with. If the sound system was better on te 15” I might have saved up for it. I don’t need it for work really, but it’s too nice to pass up.

I also loved playing with tilt and sketching in the basic desktop sketch app- the most natural digital pencil experience I’ve ever had, bar none, for the way I hold and use a natural media pencil, but I never got a similar natural experience from art programs. Ought to ask around in another forum.

For many other things I prefer Thinkpads- keyboards and trackpoint in particular. But there sure was a lot to like about the book.

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

I still remember days when Optimus and its AMD counterpart were introduced to mass market - plagued with all sorts of problems - like it was yesterday. Honestly, I'd take the fancy Intel-AMD CPU over any dGPU setup, even more powerful.
    Indeed. I go from laptop to tablet mode and back all the time; with Surface Book, which doesn't detach instantly, I'd go mad very fast. Even rotating 360-degree hinge like on old convertibles is way preferable over detachable when it comes to full-size device, IMO. But if the keyboard switched to Bluetooth right after being detached, like it does on some japanese devices if I recall correctly - that would be quite interesting even for me.
    There's another point against anything Microsoft for me - I'm VERY keen on having the latest&greatest wireless tech, so a convertible with way outdated (867Mbps + BT4.1?!!) soldered WLAN is a hard passe; in comparison my Thinkpad, while hailing from 2016, has 1733Mbps-capable 802.11ac + Bluetooth 5.0 Intel 9260 card (and an LTE modem, of course!), and will get a 802.11ax upgrade as soon as it's available; used to have 802.11ad in it until recently.
    ^ This. Can't live without the nipple.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  8. kneehowguys

9. kneehowguys

The guys at notebookreview forum might be able to help you better than us.

All we do here on this forum is twirl active stylus pens around and poke each other in the nose with them.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

For those who spend long hours away from AC power, I'm happy to report that there's a semi affordable battery that can be used with the X1Y3. I bought this $70 ZMI USB-C powerpack to keep my Go topped off, but it worked fine for my X1Y3 as well. It has a capacity of 72Wh compared to the 54Wh battery in the X1Y3, so it can at least double your battery life. I get a charging rate of 15W during moderate use. Weight 14.3oz, 405g. I can't vouch for the longevity of this thing, but at least on my first long trip it worked like a charm.