Thinkpad X1 Yoga (2017)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kvoram, Jan 3, 2017.

1. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

How much is the tax?
    I dont live in US btw.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Not sure exactly, but probably around $100.

3. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

I currently have a Surface Book 2, not too happy with it so was going to get a new Yoga. Is is feasible to backup the SB2 and restore that to the TPY or is that not really possible? I have several hours of installations / configurations done that I'd love to hang onto, but not sure that's possible.

4. JoeS

Unfortunately I think that's basically impossible. You might be able to restore a system image to a different PC, but you end up with a Frankeninstall with missing drivers and weird untraceable bugs, that's at least what I've been reading. It's too bad, because personally I also customize the hell out of my laptops, so a system change is a real pain.

Unrelated, if you have a minute I'd be curious to hear what you didn't like about it, maybe in the SB2 thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...-13-5-and-15-models.73073/page-33#post-510956 Or if you already did that, apologies for overlooking it! :)

5. koz2050

That’s what I figured. I’ve been able to successfully restore from one Thinkpad to another, been doing that for a few years now, but with the Surface Book I expected that to be a different animal. Too bad really but whatever, no biggie in the long run of time spent on the laptop.

Re: the SB2, haven’t been over to that thread, but it’s randomly rebooting on me which is pretty frustrating. I don’t have the time or patience to sort it out or hope it gets sorted out.

6. JoeS

Odd, I haven't been hearing anything about this anywhere else. That's really annoying. If you like the machine otherwise, you could save a system image, exchange the unit, and restore the system image to the new SB2 to see if it was a hardware issue. Admittedly that does take some time.

Whichever machine you end up with, both are pretty great. Of course the GPU's in the SB2 models blow the X1Y out of the water, and quad core vs. dual core can make a big difference. Just FYI! :)

7. koz2050

Yep...

So I decided to return the SB2, and ordered an X1Y, 3 week wait so they say. Wouldn't you know was in Costco yesterday and they have a pretty good deal on a SP bundle (899) so I had to get it.

Any input on the Pen Differences between the X1Y and SP? Are they similar in accuracy / feel for primarily OneNote inking?

I've been using my iPad Pro (2017) and the inking experience in OneNote is pretty hard to beat from a "pen on glass" experience. Definitely noticeable switching to the Surface Pro. I'm always like, "where's it going to write" due to the glass and can't seem to write anyone near as accurately on the SP, curious how the X1Y compares if anyone has used both (or all 3).

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. koz2050

So, the X1 Yoga I ordered 12/2 that had a 3 week estimate actually shipped 12/7. Supposed to be delivered tomorrow...

9. JoeS

So now you'll have an iPad Pro, a surface pro, and an X1 yoga? I like how you roll. :D

10. koz2050

Well I was hoping to replace the iPad Pro with a Win 10 Tablet device. I love my iPad Pro, but having full OneNote would be great and the inking tools in Windows 10 far exceed that of the iPad Pro (which is a shame). That’s what led me to attempt the Surface Book and Surface Pro. I’ve been a Yoga fan for quite some time, but not since going to the iPad Pro when it came out. I also have my P50 for my primary. It’s quite a bit of weight to carry when traveling so I’m wondering of the X1 Yoga could serve dual roles, my main computer while traveling as well as my iPad Pro replacement.

It’s just finding what set of tools gets the job done most proficiently...it’s not an easy thing to do while still getting the job done :)

JoeS likes this.