Thinkpad X1 Yoga (2017)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kvoram, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Guillaume

Guillaume Pen Pal - Newbie

Bump.

Is there really a slot for a 2.5" hard disk in this thing?

2. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

Does the X1 yoga second generation work with a USB C battery external pack? Has anyone tried it?

Starlight5 and JoeS like this.
  3. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

OK so I know they have these all the time, but FWIW there's again a 25% discount on the X1 Yoga models:
    https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/lapto...Thinkpad-X1-Yoga-2nd-Generation/p/22TP2TXX12Y

Every time this comes up I check it out, and every time it turns out too expensive for my liking.

My problem with this machine:
    - I need two new thunderbolt docks at $280 apiece from Lenovo (maybe I should check other manufacturers for those)
    - I 'need' a 1TB SSD
    - I'd like to finally get 16GB instead of 8GB
    - I want 3yr accidental damage protection and on-site service at $270

Even without OLED screen and after the 25% discount this adds up to $2900 before tax. Ouch!!

I really want the price to end up below $2000. Looks like I won't be upgrading my TPY12 for the coming decade...

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@JoeS would WiGiG docks suit you? They're much cheaper (if you pick Dell WLD15), especially in USA - and are even more convenient, since no wires and all; plugging 2x 4K monitors @ 60Hz won't be an option, though - not enough bandwidth. Outfitting X1 Yoga with parts necessary for WiGiG ain't very expensive either, if you do it yourself.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Interesting, I haven't really looked into those. It seems like they're kind of on their way out though. I think I'll tough it out until a semi-affordable convertible with Thunderbolt appears, at which point I'll just have to suck it up and invest in some TB docks.

7. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

that is priced way out of the ballpark. the FHD screen is very dim as well. you need to have it at 75% or near 100% brightness setting all the time.

Its too bad. it seems thinkpad missed the mark on the 2nd gen X1 yoga.

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Starlight5

@JoeS you can also use cheaper USB-C docks, FWIW. They're more universal since many devices with USB-C don't have TB. Skipping on X1 Yoga, especially for this price, is a wise decision IMO, for reasons stated by @Yao. Sadly, the competition isn't stellar either in this regard - e.g. otherwise great HP Elitebook X360 also has dim displays, both FHD & 4K. Consider cheaper Thinkpad Yoga 370 as alternative - it has upgradeable RAM & very bright display.

JoeS likes this.
  9. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

you are right. even the new Yoga 920 FHD model is not more than 294 nits.

the samsung notebook 9 pro 13.3 and 15" are both very bright at 350 nits and above for the outdoor mode

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. Starlight5

Hopefully the TPY370 upgrade will be good in this regard. I would really want it to have display bonded with digitizer, to avoid dust in between, and factory-applied matte film - like on TPY260 and Toshiba X20W. Definitely would prefer a TPY280 with exceptionally bright PWM-free Toshiba's panel, and quad-core 8250u. One can dream...

JoeS and Yao like this.