Thinkpad X1 Yoga (2017)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kvoram, Jan 3, 2017.

1. quanghmd

quanghmd Pen Pal - Newbie

Weird, somehow I see a saving of $5xx on the max option model. Much cheaper than a MBP :)

Attached Files:

2. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like the Iris 640 won't be an option after all. The product website had continued to reference 'up to Iris 640' as the top end graphics trim, despite it not being an available option for customization yet. They've updated the website now and the top end graphics trim is HD 620. Lenovo strikes again. o_O

ATIVQ likes this.
  3. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Pen Pal - Newbie

The perks site took 33% off for me. Ordered may 19th. Almost 900 in savings. Got the i5 with 16gb 1tb ssd oled for 1700ish before tax. I had ordered the first gen last fall and it was eventually canceled. Since they are offering oled again on their second generation I assume they have SOME oled panels available now.

I get the feeling they are focusing on large volume corporate sales and the small business or consumer are an afterthought.

4. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I called it a page back..... Lenovo is infuriating because they actually make compelling products.... they just don't let you buy them in the configurations you want for some reason.

JoeS likes this.
  5. Guillaume

Guillaume Pen Pal - Newbie

Lenovo is infuriating, because they prevent you from buying any configuration by displaying the message "This product no longer exists" on the webpage of the 2017 X1 Yoga.

It is also infuriating because the yuuuge link/ad for the 2017 X1 Yoga on their swiss website leads to a non-existing page.

Shall I go on? :mad:

JoeS likes this.
  6. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

with the exception of the larger 14" lcd for more comfortable viewing. it looks like the Yoga 370 is a better overall device as compared to the new X1 yoga.

7. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Yao it also has higher WQHD resolution, and OLED option. However, all X1 Yoga displays are too dim to be usable outdoors.

8. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

yes. if the user insists on 14" screen (of various resolutions), then x1 yoga is the one for them. otherwise, the yoga 370 seems to win in all the other areas.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Apart from these, another thing is user accessible parts. I think on the 370 you can swap the SSD, but on the X1 you can't, right? Edit: you can, never mind! :) See next post.

I'm still surprised that they raised the weight of the X1 going from gen1 to gen2, while they dropped the weight of the 370 compared to the ThinkPad Yoga 12. This means the 370 is now lighter than the X1! :vbconfused: The X1 does give you 0.7" more diagonal, but it's no longer automatically "if you want the lightest ThinkPad, get the X1 line".

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  10. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@JoeS you can swap SSD, WLAN & WWAN cards on X1 Yoga. Adding more antennas is harder than on TPY 260/370 iirc, but still pretty much doable; major difference is that RAM is soldered on all X1 Yoga configurations. TPY 370 is direct a successor to TPY 260; (Broadwell) Thinkpad Yoga 12 was quite different internally, with 2.5" slot and thus chunkier case, used Wacom EMR and had no WWAN option.

JoeS likes this.