Thinkpad X1 Yoga (2017)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kvoram, Jan 3, 2017.

1. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Am I reading something wrong, or is this also heavier than the first X1 Yoga? The bezels don't look much smaller either. Seems like an odd choice to decrease the weight of the Carbon so dramatically, but increase the weight of the Yoga.

So, is the only upgrade versus last year a 7th gen processor and USB C?

JoeS likes this.
  2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Oh, nice.

If I was in the market for a new device, this might be it. Even with the fugly 16:9 screen.

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bingo. Hope it's the year for eGPUs. Will finally have a portable machine that can sustain my future VR movie watching experience.

4. jbaks

jbaks Pen Pal - Newbie

no the keyboard mechanism is different when opened and closed per the video. When the screen is opened and closed each individual key retracts into the laptop instead of the backplate on the previous version covering the keys and extending. No keys pressing against the screen while the screen is closed and no more button pressed when using in tablet mode as each key is snug against the back plate.

So theres new processor,new retractable keyboard design making it more sleek, new silver color option, and 16 gigabytes of memory I think comes standard, usb-c with new LTE 4G modem snapdragon if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  5. OldFox

OldFox Pen Pal - Newbie

I see no volume rocker on the new one that used to be on the right side. I found this rocker be particularly useful.

6. OldFox

OldFox Pen Pal - Newbie

I see that the keys in the keyboard retracts into the body when the display lid is closed. However, if you keep it closed for a long time like months, what are the long time effects of have the keys depressed like that.

7. pen user

pen user Pen Pal - Newbie

any words on when this will be available to order?

8. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

What are the reviews on the OLED panel on the 1st gen? I doubt they changed the panel or they would've touted it at CES, especially about the ghosting concerns brought up by Anandtech and MobileTechReview. I say this because the 2016 OLED got 369 nits according to MobileTechReview.

Right, I did hear a few people upset that they were paying $1500+ on X1Y 2016, but didn't have access to the 15W Skylake Iris CPUs. If X1Y is their "halo" device, you'd expect at least the best CPUs available in the power envelope.

---

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the direction they've gone. I like the new Wave keyboard, I like the dual TB3 ports (also for charging)and 3 USB type-A ports (the best no-compromise solution I've seen) , I like the dedicated RJ45 port (adapter is included, according to one video from CES), full-size HDMI. They hit it out of the park with the ports.

I do have a teensy wish for a full-size SD card reader and/or the volume rocker. But, I already have a SD card USB adapter plus volume control isn't too hard (but hardware would've been better).

Definitely still worried about battery life on the OLED. The battery life boosts on the OLED are fully from Kaby Lake and the CPU wasn't a large power draw to begin with. I'd hoped they would've introduced a "2nd gen OLED panel" as well, to deal with the ghosting & efficiency issues. 5 to 6 hour isn't terrible, though, if we roughly halve the Lenovo's battery life estimate.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  9. fufufufu

fufufufu Pen Pal - Newbie

The X1Y 2016 do have volume rocker.
    Don't know about the 2017.

10. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Ohh, oh. Err, I got this from the 2017 X1Y website, already up at Lenovo. From the pictures, I don't see a volume rocker.

Right side: stylus silo, power button, microphone/headphone, RJ45 port, USB type-A, full-size HDMI, Kensington lock
    Left side: Thunderbolt 3 via type-C, Thunderbolt 3 via type-C, USB type-A, USB type-A
    Back: no pictures, but we've heard micro-SIM + micro-SD

There is exterior space for the volume rocker, but I wonder if it was a compromise due to internal changes from 2016 to 2017? I think TB3 still requires a dedicated chip on Kaby Lake, right? Which maybe meant a larger motherboard already and they didn't have enough for the volume connection. You'd think it would be a very simple wire connection to the motherboard for adjusting volume...but maybe the entire motherboard needs to be lengthened?

I mean, one of my dreams is to have TB3 ports on both the left & right sides, so I can plug the power in to whichever side is more convenient. But, exactly, I think that means duplicating power circuitry on the motherboard, which means again a larger motherboard.

And from what most of these internal shots show, I think the size of the motherboard is what limits the battery (besides thinness).