ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

1. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

14" 3:2 screens do not exist until now. So no, not yet at least. The future, is unknown of course.

2. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I wasn't worrying until Lenovo made me worry by stating the OLED panel is 24% less efficient than their not-so-efficient LCD panels (9 hours with 56Whr vs 11 hours with 52Whr on MobileMark 2014). :(

I'm not sure exactly how OLED manufacturing works, but Samsung has had multiple generations of small OLED screens, 10" and under (most 6" and under). Those have been tweaked and tightened since the Galaxy S3. But, from what I can tell, this 14" OLED panel is their first-generation 14" OLED panel. It's never been in a product before and it launches with the X1 Yoga. It has Samsung's experience behind it, but that apparently wasn't enough.

Also, I think the APL (average picture level; basically the level of "whiteness" on a screen) of the typical laptop use is higher than on a mobile phone. In other words, PCs on average have a lot more white on screen than on a phone. Just look at this very page! How much white is on here, and how often do you open this page? Compare that to your mobile phone--you'll likely never sit on something this white for this long ever.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The X1 yoga is 16:9, but the x1 tablet is 3:2 Wacom AES, right? If so, that gives hope for more 3:2 screens with AES in the future. ?? Seemed so to me. That would be a boon. AES should allow different screen sizes.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

it's even worse, since the display makes up only part of the total power draw. Still thanks to the larger capacity the total battery life still looks acceptable, and I am really looking forward to those pitch blacks while watching video. As someone who does a lot of PDF markup I share your concern about APL, but I'm ready to give it a shot just for the joy of OLED. By the way, do we know the APL of Mobilemark?

5. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Everything is possible. 16:9 still is the standard screen format for Notebooks, but that may or may not change if 3:2 gets requested more and more by customers. We will see what the future holds. Right now, 3:2 larger then 13.5" is non-existent as far as notebooks are concerned. And thats a special screen for Surface book only.

6. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator

That OLED screen is beautiful on the X1 Yoga. The regular screen on an X1 Yoga right next to it looks washed out in comparison.

7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Any word on the Thinkpad P40 roll out? That machine looks amazing for pro use.

8. FiDeLiuS

FiDeLiuS Pen Pal - Newbie

Really looking forward to this device being available in Europe... the weight of the 460 is quite a compromise... and that OLED screen really looks stunning.

.... preparing myself for a long wait....

9. ikjadoon

Right? From Microsoft's tests a few years ago (which still hold true today), the display in any laptop drains the most power. It's a major reason why the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro gobbled battery life even with a Core M.

Acceptable, eh...it's pushing the limits of what we should expect in 2016 flagship consumer laptops. The X1 Carbon (2015) shares the bottom rung of battery life with the much maligned Yoga 3 Pro:

[​IMG]
    This benchmark was pulled from Anandtech's Surface Book review; and the Surface Book is a direct competitor (13.5" 3:2 screen, active stylus, premium display, 1TB SSD / 16GB RAM, etc.) to the X1 Yoga. The X1 Carbon can muster just 4 hours and 8 minutes of surfing the web, downloading a file, and having an H.264 movie playing in the background. :( The display will be killer, though. I used an RGBLED laptop for years and have a Pioneer Elite plasma at home--I'm excited to go back to milky blacks and vivid colors (as I type on TN monitor).

BAPCo, the creator of MobileMark, doesn't mention its APL, but it's never been tested on OLED panels before so they probably saw no need to measure it. However, they give an overview of their tests and it looks like a high APL level should be expected.

[​IMG]

10. ikjadoon

Anandtech confirms suspicions on high APLs with the X1 Yoga's OLED. But, the screen is stunning, echoing every in-person report I've heard.

Lenovo's put up their part sheet for the X1 Yoga (actually called the X1 Carbon Yoga in their document, but whatever). Nothing of big note:
    • NFC is available
    • they're using the new 8-series wireless chips from Intel
    • SSDs can be sourced from Samsung, Intel, Toshiba, and even Lite-ON (can pick SATA 6Gbps or PCIe 3.0 x4, as well as hardware encryption or not, from 128GB to 512GB)
    • 16GB requires an i7 processor
    • webcam is 720p (0.91MP) as always
    • RAM is available from 4GB (really? in 2016 on a flagship laptop?) to 16GB
    • obviously has a fan with the 15W CPUs (but just one, unlike the Yoga 900's twin fans)
    • can be ordered with Windows 7 Pro, Windows 10 Home, or Windows 10 Pro

JoeS likes this.