ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator

Held it in my hands a little while ago - I'm in love. More later.

Bronsky, ibmthink and soh5 like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm torn on this. I don't like the reduced battery life, but watching dark TV shows and movies would be a LOT nicer on OLED.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I love ... absolutely love the OLED display on my Galaxy Note 5. Battery life, however, is also a big deal. Still, if I was in the market for a notebook, I would get the OLED display I suspect.

4. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Trust me Bronsky, you will end up getting the Surface 4, given that Panos et al, does the bare minimum and does what you and I have highlighted. Would they move to OLED? Probably not, maybe with the flag ship surface book 2 and Pro 5. :)

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Sanity check: if I read it right, this Onelink to Onelink+ cable is intended to hook up a newer OneLink+ dock to older laptops, right? I was hoping to find an adapter that allowed the use of an older OneLink dock to a newer laptop with a OneLink+ port. If such an adapter exists, please let me know. It would save another $100 when I finally give in to temptation.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator

Just asked the question, software will be available for this at release from Lenovo.

7. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

EDIT: whoops, thought you were talking about battery life.

Yeah, that "OLED Power Settings" panel seems to be just the software, I think. Taskbar dimming seems much more preferable to hiding. I use the taskbar a lot: glance at the time, see notifications, open an program, check the status of a file transfer, etc.

I'm also surprised that "2016-gen OLED panels" are still worrying about burn-in. The taskbar though, is always on except for full-screen applications and the worst-case scenario for any OLED panel, haha.

--

That's great to hear. I heard at least Office will be tweaked for darker backgrounds, plus some grayscale modes. But, it will always be just that: tweaks, workarounds, special night modes, etc. on this OLED panel, it seems.

And, the initial compromise is still there: you need to be using black extensively to save battery. White-text-on-black is hard to read anyways, and much more so in brighter environments (like an office with harsh lighting or outside). IMO, it feels like a bit too much to worry about just to use your laptop. Of course, the first-generation of any display technology is full of compromises. If they waited until it was on-par with IPS battery life, they'd be waiting a long time.

A panel that is 24% less efficient is worrisome, especially with the 2015 X1 Carbon using some pretty inefficient IPS displays made. OLED is just crazy tempting, though.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  8. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Dell's new 4K 30" OLED monitor has some anti-burn in features, too, but they seem like better compromises as they work in the background:

My Pioneer Elite (a plasma) has similar pixel-shifting. Will the Lenovo OLED have this, I wonder?

9. gtbaka

gtbaka Pen Pal - Newbie

TP Keeps making these decisions hard. lol. I was set on a P40, but weight, screen and build of the X1 is very attractive. I am puzzled about design decisions though. So far this is the first and only device to get an OLED screen. This only makes sense to me if the P40 is permitted to have the option as well. I assume the P40 is supposed to be the graphics workstation... being one of only two devices with dedicated graphics, so shouldn't it have the option for it's "best" screen? If the X1 yoga could have dedicated graphics then great, but I believe that's been ruled out due the smaller form factor and lack of real estate in the machine.

10. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

14inch oled about time I just wish Wacom were more like this .after using the ipad pro and surface book I cant go back to 16.9 this is just my thoughts everyone is different ..all my Wacom stuff has gone to bugy to noisy and to heavy ..ill play the waiting game cos I think Wacom should release companion 3 soon ..although I will purchase Lenovo just for oled screen love them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.