ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

[​IMG]

jbaks likes this.
  2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

What is funny is when I had my Thinkpad Yoga next to my friends Macbook out at the Cafeteria... He had his macbook stolen, nobody wanted a piece of my Thinkpad Yoga. This was just getting up to wash our hands before digging in for lunch. Best anti theft device is to have your PC in all black with a Thinkpad Logo on it.

3. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Couple of years ago somebody came to me and asked me how it was possible that my "old" notebook could be running Win 7.

It was a T520 with an i7 2670qm. Probably faster than his desktop PC back then ;) To him it just looked ugly and old...

4. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

excited for this, very nice laptop, finally oled in a laptop woohoo!

5. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

So, burn-in is still an issue for their OLED panel, Lenovo notes.

If you pause the video, the "OLED Power Settings" panel says,

http://prntscr.com/9m5qtb

"It is also recommended to dim the task bar and other areas of the display that do not change frequently to prolong the overall life time of the display."

So, while it looks stunning, a few compromises: to get decent battery life, you'll need to hunt out apps and websites that have night mode and likewise avoid websites or apps with white backgrounds....and to get display longevity, make sure to dim or turn off the taskbar.

I really want the OLED, but those just seem like "just more things to worry about".

6. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

This is my favorite laptop from CES, without a doubt. And I'm itching to see reviews in April.

But, harping a bit on battery life, Lenovo is historically handicapped in making thin laptops last long (unlike Samsung, Sony, ASUS, Dell, and now Microsoft). See their failures in the Yoga 2 Pro, the Yoga 3 Pro, and both generations of the X1 Carbon.

I'm not meaning to be pessimistic, but I've been waiting to upgrade my laptop for years and the Yoga line is always high on the list. But, consistently, Lenovo disappoints.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-3-Pro-Wishlist/td-p/1672563

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9264/the-lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-review-2015/6

And now they've added a screen that, according to their testing, is 24% less efficient (11 hours with 52Whr vs 9 hours with 56Whr) than the IPS displays all the previously mentioned laptops used?

When displays are the highest power consumption devices in laptops?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/01/06/windows-7-energy-efficiency.aspx

A recipe for disaster for Lenovo and OLEDs first entrance into the laptop market.

Lenovo is not above being "first" in a category and then butchering the execution: see the Yoga 3 Pro and the world's first Broadwell and world's first Core M laptop. I chatted with a presumably Intel engineer and he had some choice words about Lenovo's disregard for battery life, lol.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  7. IAdventurer01

IAdventurer01 Pen Pal - Newbie

When my X61 Tablet was basically brand new, my classmates wondered why I was using such an ancient device. Then I flipped it around and started drawing and their minds were blown!

Of course, I'm still looking to replace that thing, so people today may have a valid point. Maybe this X1 Yoga will serve, but as others have said, I'm a bit wary of its battery life.

8. sreesub

sreesub Pen Pal - Newbie

HP Spectre x360 also is getting oled option. its definitely great that we will see oled screens in laptops. Only Samsung is using AMOLED name. I am assuming others are using LG's OLED tech instead.

Bronsky likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes. The Spectre line seems aimed directly at the Thinkpad Yogas. Shame that HP is still wedded to the Synaptics pen technology. It is a real weakness. The Wacom AES super capacitor pen in the silo is a real plus for the Thinkpad line.

soh5 and sreesub like this.
  10. sreesub

sreesub Pen Pal - Newbie

They are using wacom aes for spectre x2 and its great. I have that and really like the device minus the horrible speakers.