ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

1. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

I use them quite a bit. Just used some of my points to buy a $100 gift card last week. Also have used them exclusively buying my last laptops, T540p, X1Y, X230, T530, and one more I can remember. Never had an issue...

Also remember that the discount applies to add-ons as well. It's a great way to load up on stuff like extra ram and a bigger ssd drive. I loaded up my X1Yoga with i7,16gb,1tb pci-e, wwan and the total was just under 2k.

Right now they are having 9x points which would be over 10,000 points on that purchase which is worth $100. You can also use points towards a purchase. One of the laptops I bought, I had 10,000 points already so I was able to use that as a credit towards the purchase price.

I'm not advocating the site or their use, just explaining how I've used them in the past few years.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. koz2050

OLED model shows out of stock. High demand?? Haven't heard anything bad about them.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Me neither, seems like a winner apart from lack of USB-C and low brightness. If I wasn't so satisfied with my TP Yoga 12, I'd probably hop on the X1 Yoga bandwagon. If they do come out with an even lighter X1 Yoga 12 with 12.5" screen and narrow bezel, I'm in.

4. madm

madm Pen Pal - Newbie

I consider buying the X1 Yoga with i7, 8GB/512GB, IPS as I get a good students' offer. I'm planning to use it for handwriting on a daily basis, so I have some questions concening the digitizer pen, because I've read that the included pen will soon leave scratches on the display (or the matte screen protector?) in a German forum.

i) Has anybody noticed scratches on the screen due to pen usage?
    ii) Is this applicable to the OLED version (which I probably can't afford, though) or only IPS with/without screen protector?
    iii) Can using a different pen prevent scratches? @koz2050 mentioned using Wacom Bamboo Duo and another Thinkpad Pen Pro earlier in this thread - and is the digitizer accuracy equal for all three pens?
    iv) Is it possible to apply an additional screen protection layer? I found this offer and similar ones on Amazon. Has anybody experiences with tempered glass protectors fitting the X1Y (like this one)?
    Does a screen protector affect (a) pen recognition, (b) touch screen sensitivity or (c) screen brightness/glare/... ?

v) At last, does anybody bother about the small pen size (mentioned on notebookreview.com)?

Thanks in advance!

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

For those interested, the ThinkPad X1 Yoga is currently available at a 35 percent discount on Lenovo.com for "Cyber Monday".

upload_2016-11-28_16-20-46.png

soh5 likes this.
  6. koz2050

I have not noticed any, any would be surprised to have any given the matte screen protector on there.

Using a different pen with different tips would certainly make a difference depending upon the hardness. I believe any high quality pen would be adequate and not cause issues.

You could put another layer on there. I recently played with a "Privacy" protector that I got for my iPad Pro and just layed it on the Yoga and it still seemed to work. Naturally visibility / brightness will be reduced based on the screen protector.

The small "silo" pen is actually quite handy and you get used to it pretty quickly. For a time there I was preferring it to other pens. I stopped doing that in fear of forgetting it and then not having anything when I'm out and about.

I just do occasional note taking (onenote) on mine, not doing drawing or art work. So I'm probably less picky about these things just because my usage isn't as critical (although as I type that I have to laugh because I believe I am quite picky about these things regardless, so.... :)

My iPad Pro is my goto for a lot of note-taking as well and the X1 Yoga is the next closest device I've ever used for a great pen on paper experience.

7. 123forman

123forman Pen Pal - Newbie

I've noticed this problem in OneNote - the pressure response is flat in my normal handwriting range, which hinders legibility. I've tried using the Wacom driver to fix this, but when I hit the "calibrate" button I get an unresponsive white screen. Do you know how to adjust this setting?

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not sure why your calibration screen would be unresponsive, but calibrating won't improve your pressure sensitivity. On the first panel of the Wacom pen driver, look for the sensitivity slider. Moving it towards the Firm setting should make your inks less flat by requiring more pressure to reach 100% ink flow.

9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

FYI, while it is already pretty much expected, the 2nd generation fo the X1 Yoga should be announced next week together with the rest of the X1 family (Carbon + Tablet).

AFAIK, there have been no real leaks thus far, but I found that a X1 Yoga 2nd was certified by a German certification body in November.

No real information available, but the manufacturer part number and Lenovo product codes are:
    TP00076C
    20JD
    20JE
    20JF
    20JG

JoeS likes this.
  10. netjack

netjack Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone else have their start menu pop up even though you're not touching the laptop? I've got Start10 installed but pretty sure this was happening even without it installed.