ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Brightness comparison between AMOLED and LCD rely on different metrics. Basically you are averaging brightness across all possible "picture levels", rather than simply calculating the luminance of the backlight for LCDs.

In any case, I would hold off dissapointed until seeing it in person.

JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I should have been more clear. Based on the spec sheets posted here we are offered the following options:

14" WQHD (2560 x 1440) OLED, Touch, 300 nits
    14" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, Touch, 300 nits
    14" WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS, Anti-Glare, 300 nits

I'm assuming that they forgot 'touch' for the third one. In any case, even on the IPS displays we're not getting 400 nits.

Edit: thanks for that link by the way, I wasn't aware of this. For people annotating PDFs most of the screen will be lit and white though, so if I understand the article correctly, that type of user would experience the lower range of the possible screen brightness. And use quite a lot of power as well.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

That maybe so, but in my experience and based on reviews OLE/AMOLED isn't as viewable in direct sunlight as IPS. My last phone was a LG G2 with an IPS display and now have the Nexus 6 with AMOLED, and at the same nit brightness(had to google it) in direct sun light the G2 is more viewable, though I kind of prefer how the N6 renders colors better(G2 tends to have slightly over saturate colors, which is kind of what AMOLED is known for).

4. Marty

Really? From what I read, AMOLED performs about the same as high-quality IPS screens--which is to say, still not very readable:

5. Marty

No problem :)

Actually that user would either get the lower range of brightness OR higher power consumption, but not both.

[​IMG]

Basically, what is causing the drop-off when the picture tends to white, is the power management lowering output to each TFT controlling the RGB sub-pixels.

Otherwise, a 100% white picture would actually be at maximum brightness (~700 nits) but consume a ridiculous amount of power.

I've read that it's possible to tweak power allocation algorithms of AMOLED display controllers, so theoretically you could get a super bright display. Conversely, by adopting a dark UI scheme, it is possible to save power.

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Maybe newer AMOLED as changed that, but to be fair the N6 is a bit over a year old and wasn't even using the best AMOLED Samsung offered(partially because samsung keeps the best for themselves).

7. JoeS

Hey, yet another use of the snazzy night mode on Drawboard PDF.

8. Marty

And night mode in e-reading apps, dark UI in CS, and dark themes in Windows...welcome to the dark side. :)

9. JoeS

[​IMG]

jbaks likes this.
  10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

What is funny is when I had my Thinkpad Yoga next to my friends Macbook out at the Cafeteria... He had his macbook stolen, nobody wanted a piece of my Thinkpad Yoga. This was just getting up to wash our hands before digging in for lunch. Best anti theft device is to have your PC in all black with a Thinkpad Logo on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.