ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What the hell does that mean? :p We'll hear other announcements in the next few days, or have to wait months?

2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lenovo have the ThinkPad moniker for their business products, and the IdeaPad moniker for their consumer products. The Yoga 900 is in the IdeaPad line. There might be a refresh planned for announcement at CES.

3. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

ikjadoon likes this.
  4. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm missing the Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga ;)

But the X1 Yoga sounds really nice. Especially the OLED-display is half a dream coming true :)
    It only misses Thunderbolt 3 :(

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

This looks great. It takes everything I love about my TPY12 and improves on it. More than half a pound lighter than the TPY12, but a 14" screen instead of 12.5". What?! :eek:

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

What's the story on OLED displays? I don't really know anything about it. Obviously, people are noting the more vibrant colors and darker blacks. Its also been noted that battery life is less with that model by a few hours. Anything else? How does it deal with bright light situations? Anything special? Iirc, its used in cell phone screens, so I thought it might be of some value in that situation.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I know, I was thinking something similar. About 2x the battery life, over 1 lb lighter and a full 3/4" thinner than my x230t, but with a bigger screen with a better ratio (3:2, right?), and probably just as powerful. Even has a pen in a silo. A nice aside is that with the increased screen ratio, we get enough vertical room for a MUCH bigger palm rest and trackpad.

Footprint is even about the same- the space is just better utilized. Only an inch wider, but not any deeper, because of the keyboard layout and screen attachment method.

edit-
    I wonder what the sound quality is like. I've heard Thinkpads are slowly getting better on this point.

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Two things to note:

1) The X1 Yoga doesn't come with a 940m discrete gpu option, so unless you're planning on getting the i7 version (Intel 540 graphics)--which will probably be horrendously more expensive--the Yoga 260 460 might still be for you.

(Edit: Sorry, got the Yoga 260 and 460 mixed up. Between Yoga X1 and 260, I'd say it really comes down to your screen/weight preference.)

2) Lenovo is notorious for announcing great products at CES that mysteriously vanish later in the year...you have been warned ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  9. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

@Marty,
    at least the non-OLED version is already available now, and this is a top-of-the-line product - can´t imagine this option will just vanish in thin air after this entrance on CES. :D

Yes, X1 Yoga is not available with discrete GPUs - but Yoga 260 isn´t either. For that you need the much heavier P40 Yoga or Yoga 460.

No. Aspect ratio on this is still 16:9 (16:10 would have been better...). The resolution of the OLED display is 2560x1440.

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You're right, I thought he was referring to the Best Buy Yoga 460 model, which imo is still the best price/performance of any tablet at the moment.

Thanks for the correction.

The OLED screen being used are Samsung Super AMOLED panels, which are noted for high color gamut and accuracy. DisplayMate has several in-depth reviews analysing their display characteristics, generally finding them to outperform the best LCDs of the same year.

However, in terms of display brightness (the primary determining factor of outdoor visibility) the issue is more difficult to analyze because OLEDs do not rely on a backlight, but instead, each pixel emits it's own light.

My personal feeling is that AMOLEDs perform about as good as high quality LCD panels in direct sunlight, which is to say, still not very readable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.