ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Dec 29, 2017.

1. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

More thoughts coming in.

I got the Lenovo Active Pen 2 from Amazon today, and it is a great fit to this machine. It fits into the pen slot easily, and the compatibility is great. Much better feeling than the 1st gen Lenovo Active pen came with the tablet, and this has one more button on the top. Personally I am very satisfied with this pen, though it still is not as good as Wacom EMR.
    Looking at the official manual for X1 Tablet Gen 3, some models/regions may be shipped with a actual "Lenovo Pen Pro", which is different from ANY lenovo-made pens I've seen yet. It even uses Type C recharge... See last two screenshots from official manual. Really wish I can have that though..

As for performance - Noticed one thing interesting: League of Legends does not cause overheat and severe throttling when the tablet is fully charged.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Not sure if I mentioned this already, but if you right-click on the desktop there is an option Set Color Setting, with no indication where this came from. Turns out this is a Lenovo context menu item, and you can even add a custom profile in the Vantage app. I changed from Native to Standard, and suddenly colors were no longer searingly bright. Hope it helps. If that doesn't cut it, you can tweak the Intel Graphics settings, also in the context menu. Good luck, took me a while to get an acceptable white balance on my X1Y3.

3. Zurginator

Zurginator Pen Pal - Newbie

That sounds like it would do the trick, unfortunately I have no such option. Even in the Vantage app the slider for color temperature is all the way at the highest setting (6500k). Would be nice if the Intel settings allowed you to tweak color temperature...

I have a ColorMunki on the way, so we'll see what I end up with.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    lonaysta likes this.
  4. Stuporstar

Stuporstar Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone do a quick camera test for PWM flickering? When the brightness is turned down to the lowest setting before total blackness, and you view the screen through a cell phone camera, can you see any flickering? Many thanks!

5. Zurginator

No flicker on my X1 when viewed through a Mi Mix 2. I can compare it to my S1, which had visible flicker throughout the entire brightness range.

Stuporstar likes this.
  6. Stuporstar

Stuporstar Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome. The x1 looks like the best high-end tablet currently available, especially now that the Switch 7 is looking like a publicity stunt. Hopefully Lisa Gade's review arrives soon.

7. JoeS

That's where mine is too, but then in that same section I can scroll down to see more options, including color settings, camera settings, etc. Also, the Intel settings panel gives me color options, doesn't yours?

8. Zurginator

Mine skips color settings and jumps to camera settings. ( https://i.imgur.com/4KeaZnk.png )

Intel gives me options for each of the RGB channels, but nothing easy like a color temperature tweak, which makes it a lot harder to balance.

Interesting accidental development: The magnets on the keyboard cover where it 'props up' are strong enough to keep the pen attached. They hold it better than the included pen dock when it comes to shaking.

JoeS likes this.
  9. JoeS

Well I'll be darned. :) Well at least boost the blue channel a bit for now, because nobody should have to suffer a screen that yellow. :eek:

10. Zurginator

Looks like I'll either be pushing for a new unit or a refund - I'm having lots of issues with what appears to be the GPU drivers crashing (black screen), multicolor artifacts on Youtube, had a BSOD today, had the system completely lock up when I tried to play a video, and streaming audio on battery results in all sorts of weird issues.

I might just try my luck at pushing for a refund and move back to a traditional laptop. I'm finding the tablet concept to be rather hit-or-miss.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Starlight5 likes this.