ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@lonaysta @Zurginator please kindly check, how usable is it on lap and in bed with keyboard attached?

2. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I think we should investigate the bundled pen issue together and further. I have not tried the pen holder, since it may be for the wrong pen..The pen does not even do tilt (edit: I checked other sources and seems the pen is not supposed to support tilt) ! Besides, did you test the fan noise with power or on battery? I was using it plugged in yesterday and the noise was certainly noticeable. Also, it may be caused by the fact that it was setting itself up. Today in the morning I tested a bit and the fan seems to kick in rarely. Will need longer term to observe.

I did not see the screen yellowish. Did you turn on the night mode in Windows10?

I personally do not have the habit to use laptops on my lap...because my first "laptop" was a 4kg 17' gaming config so I could never use that one on my lap haha! I don't think the "surface-form-factor" is quite good to use on lap though.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  3. Zurginator

Zurginator Pen Pal - Newbie

In lap it's doable but awkward. Resting your arm on the keyboard cover will result in it twisting enough that it causes the trackpad to click. On the bed however, it functions just fine in ones lap.

After I wrote my post the thing certainly spooled up and got hot - I was idling around 40-50% usage as Windows was doing its thing, and yeah, the fan gets quite noisy. This morning it is inaudible.

As for the pen, reviewing the site I don't think it matters. The pen pro ( https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/acces...supplies/pens/TAB-ACC-BO-Pen-Pro/p/4X80H34887 ) and the active pen ( https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/acces.../TAB-ACC-BO-Lenovo-Active-pen-NA/p/GX80K32882 ) are probably the same pen with a different logo. The tablet is shown with the much better active pen 2 ( https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/acces...AB-ACC-BO-Active-Pen-2-w-battery/p/4X80N95873 ), but not sold with it.

First thing I checked, because it was just that extreme. I'll be trying to calibrate it a bit later.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. thefuture2522

thefuture2522 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the current lenovo X1 Tablets that are being sold right now come with WWAN / LTE? Looking to purchase the model that works with LTE. Has anyone confirmed if the option is there for there tablet?

5. lonaysta

Good find on the pen!
    Wondering if that is compatible and if I should buy one myself....

Edit: purchased a Lenovo Active Pen 2 from Amazon....hopefully it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@Zurginator thank you very much! If only trackpoint & keyboard are used, with touchpad disabled, do you think it is possible to use it placed on a single lap comfortably for prolonged typing/browsing sessions?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  7. Yasir Jaborie

Yasir Jaborie Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the screen HDR compatible or is that reserved for the X1 Yoga/Carbon? Doesn't seem to be much information about the screen out there. How are you guys finding it in terms of color/contrast etc?

8. lonaysta

I do not think its screen has HDR compatibility..

9. lonaysta

I referred to the overview video and found the pen and pen slot works just fine....I end up like the design. It's not like the sticky pen slot used by Surface Pro 3 type cover, but a rather easily removable "modular" design. The pen slip is easily installed/removed, leaving no sticky stuff there....
    Though the pen is not stored quite firmly..

Additional remarks on thermal control:
    I tried to play League of Legends to see how the thermal patterns are.
    Yesterday, I played plugged in and set to Best Performance. The device surely gets hot and I can sometimes feel the throttling. But overall it was smooth.
    Today I tried to play on battery, and experienced a very very severe thermal throttling; I checked the temp and it seems to be triggered at CPU=90C. At this point almost entire device "shuts off" the computation power: CPU=0.2GHz, mouse stutter (BT), WiFi stutter (LoL shows "attempting to connect") and sound is broken. Within around 10-20s the temp goes down from 90C to below 70C then everything is back to normal.
    I then tried to toggle some settings but this happened as the CPU temp goes beyond 90C. Then switched to AC Power and it persisted (!not the same as yesterday). However, when it's plugged and at "Better Battery" mode, the thermal is controlled at 70C max and hence never reached 90 (so, no the severe thermal throttling to bring from 90 to 70 in 20s). The FPS of the game was still decent, and is overall much more playable...

10. Zurginator

Zurginator Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure any current models come with it, but the option has to be there - mine has a SIM slot.

It's not ideal compared to an actual laptop, but it's serviceable for me. Granted I have long legs which makes it easy. The problem is because of the kickstand + 3:2 you end up with the edge of the keyboard being a good 6" closer to your torso than normal.

Nothing here that points to HDR. The screen is extremely yellow, but otherwise quite nice.

I've yet to run into any throttling issues when it comes to my typical workload. Performs well except in the graphics department...