ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Dec 29, 2017.

1. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

this video reveals that there might be an on-tablet storage option for the pen. Kind of similar to what Microsoft opted for Surface Pro 3 type cover, but on the tablet instead. Welcome to 2014?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The only device missing in that lineup is an X1 Yoga Book combining a yoga hinge, a detachable screen with silo, a GPU in the base, a kickstand on the tablet, and an optional keyboard cover. Easy!

3. lonaysta

That sounds like an ultimate transformer. Surface Pro form factor by default but Surface Book with Performance Base as the premium option. So fascinating but I would assume there are some technical limitations with PCIE for this at current stage of tech:(

4. JoeS

Maybe that, but I think the biggest 'no' from a design perspective is the challenge of having both the kickstand AND a solid docking mechanism. It somehow feels like too many moving parts, it's hard for me to imagine a sleek total package that does all that. In addition I think it's smart from a business perspective to have distinct products rather than one product that does it all. In the meantime I'll keep going with the multiple device solution.

5. lonaysta

The only actual product that has a detachable GPU base now is Surface Book 2, I think? And I really don't think that hinge can fit into Thinkpad aesthetics...Anyway, I am pretty satisfied with this Thinkpad X1 Tablet, if it really delivers everything it sounds now. Can't ask for too much.

JoeS likes this.
  6. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

has anyone verified eGPU capability really works? the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics dock only lists the 720S in the compatibility list....

7. JoeS

The previous gen X1 Yoga worked with several eGPU's and the lone review of the Lenovo TB3 graphics dock on Amazon lists that it works with the X1 Yoga 2nd gen as well. So it's not proof, but it seems likely that it will work. It does seem like Lenovo stopped selling these for now, so they may be tweaking firmware or drivers. Proceed with care. :)

Edit: oops, I thought this was the X1 Yoga thread. Still, these machines are similar enough that it seems reasonable to expect that the TB3 Graphics dock will work with the X1 tablet as well. Confirmation would be nice though.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  8. JRiggs

JRiggs Pen Pal - Newbie

Now if they would only release it already. Heh

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MacrosTheBlack007 likes this.
  9. MacrosTheBlack007

MacrosTheBlack007 Scribbler - Standard Member

10. lonaysta

WoW, the sales price looks sweet! Top configured 8650u+16G+1TB SSD=$15XX after using corporate pricing....
    Will confirm a few more things before hitting order placement...