ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Dec 29, 2017.

1. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Not sure if you're joking, but now I'm wondering if chip shortage could really be the reason. I doubt they had piles of fully assembled X1T3's sitting unsold, but could they have restarted X1T3 production with parts that they still had in stock while component availability for newer models remains low?

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@dstrauss beat me to it, but I think the same thing:

Old warehouse... "Hey, what's in that other room?"... creaking door... "Oh..."

3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

yeah from what I can tell looking at our own supply chain, we might see a lot of this type of stuff at least in the medium term:(

4. JoeS

You can also get a brand new X1 Yoga 3rd gen in any color, as long as it's silver. That's a three generations old machine! Incredible.

Introducing .. Lenovo Vintage.

desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  5. JoeS

Well here's a new one... Remains after a reboot. Gulp. Let's see if a healthy dose of DISM and SFC can fix this.

upload_2021-8-22_10-17-3.png
    "Critical error. Your Start menu isn't working."

Edit: ooh boy, this looks bad. All I did was click 'show pictures' or so to unhide auto blocked images in a Kohls marketing email (think it was real), the mail app crashed, and boom, start menu borked. Seemingly relevant MS discussion here. The next time I signed in I got the same error. And the next time. And the next time.

Some apps still work, mercifully the Settings app, but not Photos, not Weather, not Mail. Side note: all these had live tiles on the start menu. Most non-UWP software seems to work except Outlook.exe so far. Win-X works, PowerShell works, Explorer works, CMD works, so lots of troubleshooting possible.

What I tried (skip to the end for the solution on my system)
    - Reboot didn't fix it
    - Ran DISM (DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth)
    - Ran SFC (SFC /scannow)
    - Rebooted again. Not fixed.
    - Check for Win updates. "You are up to date".
    - Checking for app updates. Store app doesn't start.
    - PowerShell can't reregister packages (all say 'not found'. Huuuuge list of red text)
    - Can't revert to previous Win10 version (installed more than 10 days ago)
    - CheckDisk didn't find any issues with the drive
    - Re-register the start menu separately using powershell. Seems to execute, but issue not fixed.
    - Another DISM / SFC lap. No change.
    - Run the discontinued MS start menu troubleshooter. Tells me "Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications are not installed correctly. "Not Fixed". Sigh. Also apparently the Tile database is corrupt. Also "Not Fixed".
    - Tried re-registering ShellExperienceHost and Cortana. No errors, but didn't fix it.
    - Uninstalled the Mail app from Settings for the heck of it. No error messages, but no change either.
    - create a new Admin user account, apparently this sometimes fixes it for both accounts. Not in my case. New account works fine, original account still broken. Had to use CMD because they removed the Create Account option from Control Panel, and the modern "new account" UI didn't come up.
    - ran the Application Identity service in services.msc No change.
    - Ran system restore. Failed, complaining about the OneDrive for business folder. First that it couldn't delete it, and then after I deleted it and tried it again, that it couldn't create the folder. Ugh..
    - Final step before full Win10 reinstall from scratch: do a 'repair upgrade' keeping all files and apps.

That last thing finally did it. So hurray, and also god da** it!!! WTF Microsoft... How can (seemingly) a single wrong click in the Mail app totally bork the entire freaking start menu and take a bunch of apps along with it. Infuriating!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  6. JoeS

Before I proceed do a full wipe, perhaps it's time to check in with @desertlap :hi:

Edit: nvm, problem solved, but dear lord what a huge waste of time that was. I'm exactly where I was ten hours ago, except now my entire Sunday is gone. Fan-freaking-tastic.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  7. chucklepunch

chucklepunch Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys. Just a heads up for anyone who's interested in this tablet still- Lenovo is clearing stock. It's now $899 directly from Lenovo with warranty.

Check it out right here

dellaster and JoeS like this.