ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Dec 29, 2017.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

So I'm curious, this tablet looks great, but would anyone buy this over the X1 Yoga 3rd gen? This tablet isn't all that much cheaper, is only 10% lighter with keyboard, has a 13" screen vs a 14" screen, and with the X1 Yoga you have an actual laptop mode.

The only real upsides to me seem to be the rear camera and a better FFC, and the ability to detach the keyboard for that true tablet feel. Personally I find myself using that less and less on my SP4.

2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well to me is the perfect sweet spot between Surface Pro and Surface Book.
    13” it’s the most ideal size I think for 2 in 1.

12.3” it’s too small and 13.5 it’s a bit larger than I want.

Even most of the time I’m using my 2 in 1 device as ultrabook most of the time,but I would to have the versatility of detachable screen or keyboard whatever you take it

But even I do like it it’s very difficult to purchase that device as I’m afraid even the entry level version will be more than 1500 euro here in Europe.

But I had to admit it’s the very first device from Lenovo who’s looking a bit more attractive compared to previous version.

I know that attractiveness it’s not the main target group for that category of Lenovo lineup but for me when purchasing anything I would to be eye catching also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    JoeS likes this.
  3. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

Their mm to inches conversion send to be off. 304mm is not 11.45 inches. It's 11.97. Similarly, 224mm is not 8.24 inches but 8.82. That's a big difference. More than half an inch each way.

JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

:( Thought that may have been an optional accessory rather than included. Boo.

Man, given the prices, I don't think two years is long enough for the Zbook to drop to reasonable prices. Plus, I'm still thinking about the fingerprint reader, as they aren't on any pre-customized (and therefore cheaper) configs. And also on just how much do I actually hate 16:9.

If the Switch 7 had two usb-c ports, my wait for the perfect machine would be over, full stop. As it is, I'm still keeping an eye out for other possibilities.

Marty likes this.
  5. JoeS

I'm probably missing something here, but what's bad about USB-C based charging? Isn't this a good thing? It means that one cable can carry everything (as in power, display, peripherals), AND that we can use external battery packs, if they have sufficiently high voltage. What's not to like?

6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Because if I want to charge and use peripherals at the same time, I need a dock. Which means yet another accessory I have to buy/carry around. Also, I'm just paranoid enough that I would really rather have a dedicated charging port, because if everything depends on that one port, once that port craps out, the machine is done for.

More planned obsolescence, imho. I'm not convinced that usb-c is any more robust than a usb-a port. Less so since it'll get way more plugs/unplugs. Too high a risk of failure.

Of course, this mostly applies to single usb-c port machines, and this one has two. Still gives me the willies though.

I'm not against usb-c charging, I'm just against usb-c only charging.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What about tablets new 15" convertibles with the 8th-gen Core H CPUs coming out, like the new XPS 15 and Spectre x360?

Could be a viable replacement for your T901 (with added graphics muscle from the integrated AMD), and as I showed back in the ZBook thread, 15.6"@16:9 (light purple) is like an extended 13.5"@3:2 (light blue):

[​IMG]

So you could just think of it as "bonus" screen real-estate. ;)

Selofain likes this.
  8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Ok, those two models you listed sound interesting. I'm going to need a closer look at the specs and also at just how much I'm wedded to Wacom EMR.

The Zbook x2 is literally my current 13" 16:10 screen but with more side, but I could never get over how tiny a 14" 16:9 screen looks, even if my own screen is technically smaller. It just... looks so small. Even in landscape, 3:2 looks so much better than 16:9.

Bring this back around to the topic at hand (lol), the X1 tablet is the right size and shape, but falls short in other ways.

9. JoeS

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    alextrela182 likes this.
  10. JoeS

Today I finally figured out what you meant.. The old model had the kickstand hinge along the bottom edge, that's right! This is way better imo.

I'm warming up to this tablet. It's a huge improvement over last year's model. Some changes:

2018 3rd gen model vs 2017 2nd gen model:

- improved kickstand (hinge no longer along edge)
    - vastly improved CPU choices, Passmark CPU score up by more than a factor 2!
    - 3000x2000 vs 2160x1440 (still 3:2, better than the 16:9 of the X1 Yoga..)
    - screen size up to 13" compared to 12" (screen area 17% up)
    - negative: tablet weight 1.96 vs 1.69 lbs (16% up); with keyboard: 2.8 vs 2.35 lbs (20% up)
    - TB3 enabling eGPU support! vs. only USB-C
    - Windows Hello support (IR camera) vs. nope
    - up to 1TB SSD vs. up to 512GB SSD

All in all a big upgrade.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Bronsky, southdunes and alextrela182 like this.