ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Dec 29, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@dstrauss, I can't remember you having any complaints about the trackpad, just stumbled across one on reddit....how did you find the x1's trackpad? or did you use an external mouse?

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@dstrauss could you please elaborate on Duet display? Do you use it wired or wireless, how does it compare to Windows Connect?

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It is a direct connect between the USB-C ports of the Surface Go and the iPP11. Need to use the iPP cable because a generic USB-C cable wouldn't connect. I never tried Windows Connect, but it is rock solod, other than mouse cursor movement on the iPP is not as smooth as on the Surface Go - highly recommended.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You hit upon something that's rapidly becoming an issue which is the wide variation in USBC cables which vary in capability with no obvious marking that would tell you that.

The issue also extends to things like fast charging the latest phones from Samsung, one plus and others. Not to mention Thunderbolt capability.

I cant count the number of "it's not working" calls we have gotten where the root cause is the cable

The only rule we can give customers is to make sure the cable is listed as a Thunderbolt 3 cable as Apples are. That does mean you are paying more than some of the cheaper cables at Amazon or best buy:(

Starlight5 and dstrauss like this.
  5. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I used Cell Helmet liquid screen protector and have no issues yet.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If anyone is still interested in this system after MS refused to put TB3 on their Pro's yet again, the Lenovo Outlet is occasionally selling brand new 3rd gen X1 Tablets with i5 or i7 for under $1000. Note that these include the keyboard and the Wacom AES pen. Pretty sweet deals, as long as you're aware of the ~4h battery life and the screen issues. Case in point:

upload_2019-10-26_11-3-58.png

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Good find @JoeS - but that screen still scares me - but can't say I'm much luckier on the X1 Yoga (not screen - processor overheating).

JoeS likes this.
  8. JoeS

Right? Those prices are insane for what you're getting. If I wasn't so afraid of revealing that I have a real tech problem, I would admit that I ordered a brand new X1T3 i5/256GB for $785 the other day. :oops:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    dstrauss and Marty like this.
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Wait, what's the issue with the display? And it really only gets 4 hours? Can the battery be swapped for a larger cell or no?

10. JoeS

The screen apparently scratches very easily, see the thread I linked to. So a screen protector is basically a must (adds $20-30 to the price). Battery life, I think 3-5h is realistic. It’s a small battery and a large screen, with a pretty high power CPU. No battery upgrades possible, but an USB-C external battery pack helps. Needs to be relatively high voltage, I think 20V.