ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Dec 29, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I tried to bend my X1 Tablet this morning - ha ha ha - but seriously, watching Gordon's mini-review above I was struck again by how well this prototype is already performing. He is a tough reviewer, and even he was wowed by the Lenovo: "I'm excited because I really don't want to lug around a big old clamshell anymore."

Surprised it is on an Intel processor, and very impressed that the "folding" looks far less fragile than the Galaxy Fold. Since they are talking "first half 2020" to me means next Labor Day. Wish he was right about a no battery Wacom (EMR) but looks just like the Pen Pro with my X1 Tablet.

If it is EMR...oh boy, here I go again...

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

What happened to the Lenovo?

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. dstrauss

SOS (same old story):
    • Overheating - I use the kickstand to keep it reclined on my desk for note taking at all times - got so hot (center back) that system throttled and slowed down (have similar problems with the GB12 at times, as well as the SB2 13.5" I had previously)
    • Too big (for a 2-in-1) - the screen was gorgeous and the extra real estate nice, but if I was going to go this big I might as well get a 13" ultrabook in clamshell form - like the new XPS 13.4" 7390 - which I don't want to do
    • I ALWAYS keep coming back to wanting as close to a one device solution (for my business needs at least) as I can get, and I may send my Tim the Tool Man "More Power!" side to therapy to do it. I have to believe that Microsoft or Samsung is going to get to a 10-12" 2-in-1 no bigger than the Galaxy Book 12 with at least 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD, LTE (actually 5g please for future proofing), and TB3 - PREFERABLY more in the size of the Surface Go or iPad Pro 11
    • My TRUE hope is that Samsung gets there with an S-Pen in the chassis - I'd even bite at that with 8cx, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD (IF it includes LTE and a mSDXC slot) and no TB3 - THAT'S how much I want a full time solution
    PS - I have come to the conclusion that I will be stuck with an iPad device for my News+ magazines, iTunes, Kindle, Netflix, and Amazon Prime (so it's really not a pure one device play). In fact, if I keep the iPP11 I will end up segregating life and work right along those lines by using the iPP11 as my family photo/video editing platform as well (an iPP11 and Surface Go combined top out at 2.22 lbs - think about that). If Duet Display works with whatever Windows device I end up with, I'll have more screen real estate with the two tablets than a 15" laptop...hmmm...that said, I'd forego News+ and limp with inferior options for the other media consumption needs, IF it delivered all the goods on Windows (in the 3rd bullet above plus S-Pen).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Bit too big and running too hot to the point of throttling. That's too bad. How about the battery life? Was it acceptable?

5. dstrauss

Well, I debated dinging it for that as well - best I got was 4-5 hours, but having only used it a week I decided not to hold that against it. A longer test period would be in order, but it does suck electrons pretty fast, and I am NOT interested in having to run at 150 nits to get decent battery life - my eyes are too old for that nonsense.

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There seems to be this invisible 4-5hr barrier that I've encountered over the last 10 odd years TPCRing...none of my Windows tablets have ever reliably exceeded that for a medium workload (20-30 tab browsing w/video+50% screen brightness+light productivity mix).

Seeing as how you've experienced length and breadth of the recent market ;), can you give a shortlist of x86 tablets that you hit 6hr reliably with your standard workload (similar to the X1's workload you described above)?

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I can’t answer for @dstrauss, but my contribution would be: “Surface Pro 2 with Power Cover”. I agree, it seems to be slim pickings.

8. dstrauss

My Surface Pro 4 could go 6-7 hours pretty regularly. Outside of that it was the big iron (Surface Book and Surface Book 2) that went the distance.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Only one eh, out of all the (slate) tablets you've tried? So much for Intel's efficiency promises. :p

So the SP4 could do it, but not the SP5/6? I don't recall people praising the SP4 battery life especially, was it the Core M version? Any special settings/strategies you used?

10. dstrauss

I forgot I did have the SP5 LTE briefly - but don't remember battery performance.