ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Dec 29, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hey - I'm SUPER GLAD for the heads up - thanks Joe! :thumbsup::newpalm:

alaskajoel and JoeS like this.
  2. dstrauss

You know, I can't understand how professional reviewers never do long term (even a one month) follow up on these devices - but maybe that's the OEM's intent. Along with the screen coating wearing off, many folks on the Lenovo support site are complaining of 2-4 hour battery life, much like the Acer Switch 7, but when used on battery performance setting and 150 nits of brightness.

I have STILL not gotten an order confirmation, but talked to a nice young man in support who is trying to track it down (his system shows it is in production); asked him about screen issue and he acknowledged it occurred but "to his knowledge it has been corrected," but complaints are still coming into the Lenovo support forum as of 07/15/19. Even more unsettling there is still no Lenovo US website - you get re-directed to Lenovo Chile - he acknowledged that as well - sure hope I'm not dealing with Peggy...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

My guess is it just doesn’t generate the same number of clicks. It would be great if that happened though. Something like “X1 tablet 3rd gen - after the honeymoon” with a discussion of the most frequent complaints on the main forums.

wytn and dstrauss like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...You know, I can't understand how professional reviewers never do long term (even a one month) follow up on these devices...>>

...This is why our forums are so important. And also why I choose to buy my devices and own them for at least a few years...

5. dstrauss

What's the fun in that...

wytn, Marty and JoeS like this.
  6. dstrauss

OMG! Peggy = John

I called back again this afternoon - got a heavy foreign accent named "John" - he says he is NOT the John I talked to yesterday, but another "John" - he assures me they have my order but "system is down" and can't send confirmation (FIVE DAYS LATER).

I'm not sure who's the REAL John in this scenario...and I wasn't even in Las Vegas...

7. dstrauss

tl&dr - This one is good enough to be a keeper - save for the fact it is as big as carrying a 13" laptop (just generally a little lighter and little thinner) - I've attached a HWInfo64 report for those of you interested in the detailed specs of this machine - now for the rest of the story-

Day 1
    Since I am a committed note taker, I'm OK with the size and "tank" is not bad thing for knocking around in your briefcase, but if I were a traveling user that was not into OneNote or drawing, I'd definitely go with a thin and light laptop like the XPS 9380, 7390, HP x360, etc. The bezels make this thing BIG and a power user would be better off with a full laptop that is actually smaller than this. Of course, part of all of that is fitting the Lenovo keyboard in the base, and there's not much wiggle room there unless you shorten the spacing between the keys. All that said, I like it and it is a thin package even with the keyboard.

It's only 0.7" on the diagonal, but the 13" vs the Surface Pro 12.3" really does seem roomier.

Performance is a big improvement over the GB12, as to be expected. But why in the world don't these top tier vendors at least pick out Iris Graphic for their built in Intel chips - I know they make a good difference on the MacBooks - maybe not MX150 level but close. This generic implementation of Intel 620 is getting OLD.

I now have it connected to the Lenovo TB3 Dock Gen 2 and running great except fr connecting the monitors. Just like the Dell and HP TB3 docks, it refuse to recognize two DP monitors, and the work around has been to daisy chain them using MST - and that worked here too.

What has me stumped still is the bifurcated brain that says this thing is "too big" for someone who has been lusting for an iPP 11 running Windows, while LOVING the instantaneous performance of the V8 turbo, and it ran iTunes better than any Windows computer save for the SB2 I had with GTX1050 graphics.

Day 3
    BlueTooth is solid: found the BT headphones (cheap pair of Smartomi Q5's I picked up from iMore a year or so ago - never used them much). Connected easily; no lag running an iTunes movie (used Da Vince Code so could watch actors faces). Same quality as the BT Onyx speakers I normally use.

The pen experience is as good as the Surface Pro 5 was, just not as much "grip" on the screen - a bit on the Apple Pencil slipperiness. The real test on this comes later today when I add the Photodon screen protector, because I still can' get past the Lenovo forum's continuing complaints about the screen coating wearing off rubbing against the keyboard.

Day 5
    Added the Photodon screen protector today - fairly easy installation, and doesn't seem to interfere with clarity, touch, or pen, but it is equally as slippery for the fairly hard nib in the pen. This should do a decent job of protecting the screen coating. Some five day observations:
    • The performance is solid, but did notice a little lag today when transferring files from a USB-C HDD through the dock to the X1 Tablet.
    • The keyboard is to die for. If Apple would license this from Lenovo for the MacBooks they would ABSOLUTELY rule the market. The trackpad is excellent as well.
    • Although it is larger than I like, it is not too heavy, only weighing 4 ounces more than my GB12 with its keyboard, and I really like the screen real estate
    • Battery life is puzzling: early days but still looks like 2-3 hours under load, 4-5 in "normal" use?
    • The dock is working well, but I am a little upset about the slowdown during that file transfer - can't imagine why across a full 4 lane TB3 port.
    • Pen - needs a more Surface Pen like nib with a little more traction on the screen - tends to slide a bit like the Apple pencil but without the Apple pencil inking quality.
    The size - can't get that out of my head. It's better than carrying a 13" laptop, but I really want a powerful and nimble Surface Go size device with at least one TB3 port, 8gb RAM, 256GB SSD, mSDXC, LTE, and no bezels. That size is just to die for. On the other hand, size and function wise I basically have a 13" MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, a 12.9" iPad Pro, LTE, and a keyboard better than ANYTHING Apple has.

Attached Files:

8. dstrauss

One Week Summary:
    • This is a great device. Bigger than I would like, but that pays dividends in screen real estate.
    • Model Summary: ThinkPad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Core i7 8550U; 16gb RAM; 1tb SSD; 512gb mSDXC; unlocked 4g LTE (using AT&T at moment); Wacom AES; 2 x USB-C x TB3; fingerprint reader
    • It has the best tablet/laptop keyboard I have used since the ThinkPad x61s in 2009 - know that is total subjective but truth is truth
    • Performance is excellent (as good as the XPS 9380 and x360 13")
    • Battery life feels middle of the pack - say 5-6 hours - but slowly improving
    • The ONLY laptop (besides my GB12 and SB2 13) that can play iTunes movies without stutter and lag - and that includes the XPS 9575
    • Screen quality is excellent - on par with SP5 and SB2 (blacks lag behind GB12 performance - but that is AMOLED)
    • WiFi and LTE performance is solid (I'd say slower than iPP11 but not "laggy") and I love LTE in my computer
    • Works perfectly with the ThinkPad TB3 Dock Gen 2
    • Fingerprint reader works great - I'd say 9.5 times out of 10; I know there are others complaining online
    • Photodon screen protector works good - no apparent parallax problems nor pen interference - and I don't worry about screen coating wear
    The downsides (I refuse to call them negatives because these are all subjective:
    • Wish it were smaller (HxW) - I'd be sacrificing screen real estate, but not all that much if they shrink the bezels
    • More battery life (don't we ALWAYS ask for that)
    • Wacom EMR - would pay dearly for that - but nothing compares to my GB12 - NOTHING
    • Add a little thickness and include the rechargeable stick pen in the body of the device (could load some more battery too)
    Will it finally be my "keeper" - still weighing (hefting) that decision. However, it may be EOL, as all the rumors point to this being the last X1 Tablet. Everyone thinks the next version will be the folding device which has been getting rave previews around the web:

DRTigerlilly, Starlight5 and JoeS like this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

And by 'everyone' you mean @ibmthink right? :D

Thanks for the review. This device is close to the one tablet to rule them all, but as you say, a bit large, bit short on battery life, imo a bit heavy (very close to a full X1 Yoga), and I think I read it overheats when pushed to the limit while gaming with an eGPU. Not sure it it's any worse than on an X1 Yoga which has been treating me fine playing games. Still, great device, I can easily see this being someone's only machine.

10. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

I really like the device but 16GB RAM is a major letdown especially when good ol' Thinkpad Yoga 260 & 370 happily accept 32GB, and cheap L380Y & L390Y go as far as 64GB. Same can be said about X1 Yogas until the latest 4th Gen though, which at least offers a (very expensive) 32GB option. Hope Lenovo will finally offer something with 3:2 display AND lots of RAM for Ice Lake refresh.

JoeS likes this.