ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Dec 29, 2017.

1. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry, all out of scoop right now. Haven't heard anything regarding a X1 Tablet successor.

Speculation: Lenovo might discontinue this line in favor of the folding ThinkPad X1. Because that would cover a very similar target market.

southdunes and JoeS like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, I been encouraged (admonished) to try the X1 Tablet, and an order is now in process thanks to this week's cyber-sale. $1734 with i7/16gb/1tb AND LTE. Why so close to the fall reveals? (1) I'm convinced Samsung is not bringing back the Intel Galaxy Book; (2) all the rumors say USB-C but NO TB3 for the Surface Pro; (3) unlocked LTE is still very hard to get in Windows laptop/tablet devices (although the 8cx ARM versions will all have LTE); and (4) the price was reasonable considering the sale week.

I've now been through almost everything in the MS, HP, and Dell lines, so why not torment Lenovo for a while? o_O:rolleyes:

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I loved my x61 Tablets, I hope for a great experience with your x1 ! Can't wait to hear your analysis.

JoeS likes this.
  4. dstrauss

I loved my x60s (heavens that was ten years ago), and still have a ThinkPad Bluetooth keyboard around here some place. Pinning my hopes on liking the LTE and keyboard so much I go back to practicing law instead of setting up test bed devices...:confused::(

JoeS likes this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

:D

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hey awesome! It really does look great. I know the reasons why I got the X1Y3 (better lap use, only 250g heavier than the X1 tablet) but I do miss that 3:2 aspect ratio and I wouldn't mind something a little more compact than the X1Y3. Very curious about your impressions.

Please do put a screen protector on it ASAP because many users complain that the screen on some (all?) of these damages very easily.

alaskajoel likes this.
  7. dstrauss

I'v never used a screen protector on a laptop or tablet - EVER. If that is the case, i may go back and add the $49 accident protection before it ships.

PS - made the order at 8:30 this morning; AMEX has been dinged; but still no confirmation email from Lenovo...

8. JoeS

I think it's covered by normal warranty. Just so you're aware, have a look at this thread. I haven't read the full thing, but I have yet to see a post saying "no problem at all on my unit!". So far it seems like these screens have an issue. Hope your unit will prove to be more resilient!

Edit: I read through most of that thread, it really seems like there is an unresolved issue to this day. The most worrisome is that people have the screens fixed, and the issue comes back. Also worrisome, some users are reporting having trouble getting this repaired under warranty, with Lenovo claiming it's a "CID" (Customer Induced Defect). Not a great situation!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    alaskajoel likes this.
  9. dstrauss

Well, I read the thread, and it sure doesn't look resolved, so I ordered one of the recommended Photodon screen protectors...why on God's green earth does every computer I try have to start this way - actually, this is worse - now I'm ANTICIPATING defects! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

JoeS likes this.
  10. JoeS

Yeah sorry about that :(

Still though, better to be prepared on this one. Just crazy that they managed to source such bad screens in 2019. Otherwise it still sounds like a great machine, I hope you end up liking it!