ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Dec 29, 2017.

1. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I only just finished setting up all my softwares and configurations Wednesday.... sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. xrender

xrender Pen Pal - Newbie

That's unfortunate. I checked my machine and the screen is fine...

BTW, since I've got my machine now, I have evaluated its standby power consumption.
    It is IMPRESSIVE. The whole machine standby is draining ~250mW per hour with wifi on and keyboard attached during the sleep, which translated to around 1% drop per 2 hours. This is a significant improvement over previous generations.
    In the previous generation (gen1), the bare machine without wifi is draining 220mW minimum. If the wifi is on, then it will drain around 400~600mW. With keyboard cover attached during the sleep, the total drain will further increase ~100mW, so the connected standby is nearly unusable.
    I'd say 3rd gen's sleep power is generally on par with the new surface pro (I've heard number around 100mW drop without wifi on the new Surface Pro). So Lenovo indeed fixed this annoying issue.

3. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Lenovo is processing a depot repair for my device. Gonna see what the result would be...

Update: they do not have the part needed for the repair, so the X1 Tablet is on hold for repair..

Update 2: Escalation team is arranging a replacement for me...

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  4. Jeffrey Y

Jeffrey Y Pen Pal - Newbie

No one seemed to answer this question: Is the X1 Tablet Gen 3 user serviceable? I mean is the battery replaceable when needed? I heard the 2nd gen is replaceable hence my questions here... I am about to order one and deciding between a Yoga 3 and this...

Just asking people to quickly check the back for screw holes or under the kickstand...

I am coming from a Surface Pro / Book and had enough with problems and just need a very portable and usable unit...

5. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

6. pigeontongue

pigeontongue Pen Pal - Newbie

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

8. Ashers

Ashers Pen Pal - Newbie

I would say one large difference is the having (2) USB-A ports in the X1Y vs. none for the X1T. It would be a real pain to have to carry a dongle all the time with the X1T just in case you need to plug in a USB-A device.

9. jay_thinkpad

jay_thinkpad Pen Pal - Newbie

Placed an order for X1 Tablet 3rd Gen, i5-8250U / 8GB RAM /256GB SSD. Also added the IR camera add-on for $21 for Windows Hello.
    Entire package was ~$960. Expecting to receive it by June 7th.
    My main use case is the pen input. I see that the X1 Tablet ships with the Lenovo Active Pen (2048 levels of pressure) and not the Lenovo Active Pen 2 (~4000 levels of pressure) like Surface Pen.
    Does anyone X1 Tablet owners have any experience with the Surface Pro pen input and can compare the latency, parallax, accuracy, etc.?
    While the same specs on a Surface Pro (albeit under-powered dual-core 7th Gen silicone), will set me back $1,500 (incl. type cover + pen), at least the pen input is up to par, judging by the reviews.
    Hope someone can compare both devices side by side.

Best!

MacrosTheBlack007 likes this.
  10. MacrosTheBlack007

MacrosTheBlack007 Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice! How did you score that price?