ThinkPad X1 Tablet 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alextrela182, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. FlexiPack

FlexiPack Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you. What's PSref?

3. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Or a Yoga convertbile. And with a proper 12.5" display, not the underwhelming 13.3" they use in L380Y & X380Y. One can dream...

5. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Here is an update on my unit. Today in the morning before I left home, I saw that there is a restart pending due to update (already running 1803). Then I clicked update and restart. Soon I noticed that the X1T stuck at "restarting" with the circle progress animation stopped, and top 3/4 of screen normal but bottom 1/4 black. I left it there with lid (keyboard cover) closed hoping it can recover itself somehow.
    After a whole day work I came home. I looked at it and the top 3/4 is flickering with darkened edge. Forced shutdown then restarted, and found the top 3/4 of screen heavily flickering. Bottom 1/4 normal.
    Wanted to see if it is caused by hardware faulty or software, so I restarted into BIOS. Top 3/4 still flickering, so it is almost certain a hardware failure.
    Seems I have to contact Lenovo for warranty service. Just out of return window, but I highly doubt if they have any "refurb" unit yet. Still pretty terrible experience there. I am not sure whether to blame Windows 10 or Lenovo for this, though.

6. xrender

xrender Pen Pal - Newbie

This sounds interesting. I've got my unit several days ago and everything works well. Have you updated all the firmware and drivers?

7. lonaysta

Yeah of course. And it is hardware issue since the flicker did not go away in system BIOS...
    Recorded a slow-mo video to demonstrate. Very easy to see.

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

That would drive me nuts.

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. lonaysta

I only just finished setting up all my softwares and configurations Wednesday.... sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. xrender

xrender Pen Pal - Newbie

That's unfortunate. I checked my machine and the screen is fine...

BTW, since I've got my machine now, I have evaluated its standby power consumption.
    It is IMPRESSIVE. The whole machine standby is draining ~250mW per hour with wifi on and keyboard attached during the sleep, which translated to around 1% drop per 2 hours. This is a significant improvement over previous generations.
    In the previous generation (gen1), the bare machine without wifi is draining 220mW minimum. If the wifi is on, then it will drain around 400~600mW. With keyboard cover attached during the sleep, the total drain will further increase ~100mW, so the connected standby is nearly unusable.
    I'd say 3rd gen's sleep power is generally on par with the new surface pro (I've heard number around 100mW drop without wifi on the new Surface Pro). So Lenovo indeed fixed this annoying issue.