ThinkPad X1 Tablet (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Most fn keys work only when you press them. So, to select an fn function, you have to hold the fn key down and then press the other key with the fn function on it. The Surface keyboard toggles the fn function on an off, with a small led on the key to tell you which way the toggle is set. In that way, you can toggle on the fn function and have the affected keys always in the fn mode or you can keep it in the default mode. It makes the fn function far more usuable. On the Surface, I leave the fn function toggled to on and that way can keep the F1 through F12 keys as the default on the top row. I have to toggle it off to get acces to the other functions like the Home key on the F8 key.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by Kumba:newpalm:

2. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, I see. Its like the FN Lock function on ThinkPads then. :vbbiggrin: (Press FN + Esc, and the F keys are switched around - it even has a small LED in the Esc key for that. But I think you can switch it around in BIOS permanently too)

Utan-chan and Bronsky like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Thanks. I think my old X301 had that function but didn't see it in the X1 keyboard until you pointed it out. Now that I look closer I can see that the escape key even has the led. That is key for me to know which mode is selected. It is nice having it in a single key though. This keyboard looks quite nice and one of the best KB/Cover designs I've seen for a tablet.

Utan-chan and ibmthink like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Kumba is newspeak for kumbayah. I have officially been reduced to a cliche.

Yes, I'm happy to see you and that is a Sony Xperia in my pocket

ibmthink likes this.
  5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I always thought Kumabjorn was a mix of Japanese and Nordic. Kuma meaning bear I think. From inference I thought Kuma was working in JP?

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You are right Bjōrn and Kuma both mean bear, it is after my teddy bear from three years old that I still have.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Thats freaking cute!

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Oddly, one of the issues with Lenovo's application of the Fn Lock function (through BIOS for example, on my x230t) is that it also somehow locks all sorts of other things in place. I've never understood this. If I enable it in BIOS, an then double-tap Fn to activate Fn-lock, it disables my physical Mute and Volume buttons, as well as my keyboard- it instead uses only the Fn functions for the keys. It's actually really absurd. I can't figure it out. I just want it to alter my Fn keys into their secondary functions, but still have access to my keyboard and other hardware buttons. ??

9. TerryGecko

TerryGecko Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't been able to find out if the USB C port on this device is true Thunderbolt 3 or just USB 3.0 with a Type C connector. Has anyone found confirmation on the speeds of the C connector for the X1 tablet?

10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dudes as many video I'm watching the more and more I'm falling in love with that baby:p

The Thinkpad I mean not the girl or maybe both of them :D;)

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Utan-chan and JoeS like this.