ThinkPad X1 Tablet (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

The Helix 2 is considered End of Line now as confirmed by @ibmthink

I believe Lenovo is pooling their resources and focusing on the Yoga modes as it is their most popular 2 in 1 strategy.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Actually our local Lenovo expert commented on this a while back (ah, as stated by @soh5 as well):

soh5 likes this.
  3. potoooooooo

potoooooooo Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the keyboard...wireless?* I didn't see any connectors on the top of the battery module, other than that strip which i'm assuming is magnetic

Good to know that it works, even if it's a kind of funny/ugly looking solution

*I know it isn't

Edit: Here's a good image showing the connections on the keyboard, still not entirely sure where it connects to the productivity module[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  4. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

the answer on the same picture (uses the same magnetic connection)
    [​IMG]

5. potoooooooo

potoooooooo Pen Pal - Newbie

That's a cover? Oh my god that makes so much more sense. I didn't realize it came off.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow I wasn't expecting that.
    Now anyone want more power must go to Yoga Thinkpad with Intel Core i5/i7 CPU.

Btw does the keyboard is backlit or not as I've not heard anything about that.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

7. gtbaka

gtbaka Pen Pal - Newbie

Aww man, sad to hear about the Helix. I was seriously considering upgrading to one this year. I am using a Thinkpad Tablet 10 (1st gen) and I love it, but would like a little more performance and the Helix was a natural upgrade.

I must say though, I understand completely why they use M-Core processors for the more tablet-oriented hybrids. (TP Tablet 10, and now the X1). If it is going to serve as a truly portable device it is less likely to stay plugged in than a laptop, or laptop biased hybrid device. So battery life takes precedence over everything else, i.e. Weaker processor, fanless, and USB ports can't power devices.

I use my TPT10 in the field all day when I have to. I seriously doubt I would last that long if I used a Core i5/i7 device like a Helix.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The X1 keyboard layout is interesting. I like the placement of the page up and down keys and I like the separate home and end keys. My Surface incorporates the Home, End, PgUp and Dn keys into the F keys. What I like about the Surface keyboard, however, is the ability of the fn key to toggle on and off. Typing action looks like it might be decent.

9. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

What do you mean if I may ask?

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Caps+Fn will toggle so Fn-keys will work without having to press the Fn key.

Yes, I'm happy to see you and that is a Sony Xperia in my pocket

Utan-chan and Bronsky like this.