ThinkPad X1 Tablet (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

2. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

There was a question regarding thermal modes of X1T. Below are pictures of my m5 setup under light office load (ms outlook + instant messengers + light web browsing) -- under the kickstand it becomes really hot but I never touch it there and never seen CPU throttling yet...

20160615_141414 - thermal pad - eng.jpg x1-hwmonitor.png x1-taskmgr.png

3. Marucha07

Marucha07 Pen Pal - Newbie

Random reboots...?
    I was using the m5 / 256GB--Version for several weeks without any issues, but after having bougt and installed the productivity-module (extra battery pack) and after Windows upgraded itself to 1607 the massive problem of random reboots arose. The machine went to Lenovo for repair and came back with replaced harddisk but it didn't help a lot. I have an impression, that without the extra module attached the problem is not that persistent but exist all the same. Lastly, the tablet rebootet itself in the middle of some firmware update and messed up BIOS and UEFI... Now it stays with the vendor for the second and last repair. Had anyone have similar experience? Any known workarounds?
    Greeting
    Marek

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  4. Bloody Nokia Adept

Marucha07
    Nope, no random reboots with my thing. BUT! I've experienced several times that tablet WITH attached productivity module may not wake up after a sleep and once it turned off in the middle of work day. Every time it happened, only detach of productivity module with following cold start after a 20-second push on power button helped. So, there is definitely something with integration between the tablet body and its external module.

5. Marucha07

Marucha07 Pen Pal - Newbie

@BNA,
    hmm that ist interesting but rather sad... Once or twice I coudn't wake it up from sleep too. That extra battery pack was one of main criteria for me to buy the particular tablet...

6. Bloody Nokia Adept

Another glitch with X1T: keyboard latches are extremely fragile and my son slashed them off by sliding attached keyboard instead of pulling it...

Attached Files:

7. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So is this device just dead?

A bit sad because the form factor is so sleek and it has basically a replaceable battery

8. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

I found an open box TopSeller (m5, 8/256G) one for a good price, but kinda on the fence whether to pick it up. Seems like there are quite a few horror stories?

- Most complaints about the Productivity Modules
    - Some complaints about dead cameras
    - m7 model running hot, though I am getting an m5 instead
    - 1 report about wonky Wi-Fi

Going to replace an X120e with this.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  9. driekus

driekus Pen Pal - Newbie

Has Lenovo dropped this tablet?
    I can still find it available online at resellers but not the Lenovo site.
    I am interested in it as a note taking tablet with occasional typing. I like the trackpoint. I also use Dvorak layout so a keyboard that I can put stickers over the original keys is desired.

10. pen user

pen user Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently bought a open-box unit with productivity module off eBay - not sure why there are so many negative reviews online regarding build quality, battery life etc. I've had it for about a week and was pretty happy with it. I also managed to open it up and replaced the included SATA SSD with a Samsung 960 EVO - and it works pretty well. A bit more color on this - Prior to the X1 Tablet I've been using Surface Pro 4 i7 for almost a year but had various issues; after 4 replacement machines from Microsoft it still cannot function as expected so I finally gave up.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    kvoram likes this.