ThinkPad X1 Tablet (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sadly but Lenovo failed to deliver the proper balance with that device.
    The expectations was much higher when announced at CES 2016 earlier January.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

ernesto71 and kvoram like this.
  2. zgp

zgp Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know what you expected, but this is currently the best 2in1 Core M device.
    It can surely be improved in the future.

3. Ashers

Ashers Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree. Having the Thinkpad keyboard and trackpoint is a real plus, but it's a shame it isn't as good as the surface pro. If only these type covers were compatible, I could have this excellent keyboard with a surface pro. I guess I could get a surface pro and the thinkpad bluetooth keyboard but its not quite the same.

4. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

Mine m5/ram8/ssd256/wwan/keyboard with productivity module is on the way... I'm really curious why Lenovo ships tablet separately from the productivity module but ok. Any other users so far? ;)

Attached Files:

5. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

I've seen several reviewers comparing X1T kickstand versus Surface -- Surface seems to be more sturdy as it has top-hinged kickstand vs X1T bottom-hinged -- X1T kickstand swings, slides and snaps shut. OK, that's the flaw of bottom-hinged device. Even if Lenovo introduced this type of kickstand several years ago in Yoga tablets and had plenty of time to adjust it.

But now take a look at the tablet with the productivity module attached and standing-up -- only bottom-hinged kickstand can keep this angle while top-hinged device would be tilted backward as twice of it.

Attached Files:

6. jps

jps Pen Pal - Newbie

Both SATA and PCIe M.2 SSDs are supported. But in any of those two formats (SATA or PCIe), only single sided M.2 SSD can be used -- meaning your SSD can only have chips on one side, another side should be clear of any chips, not a single resistor on it. For example, Crucial M500 512GB will not fit. But Crucial M500 215GB will fit because back side is blank.

Otherwise, there is no enough clearance to screw on the back cover. Same thing for Thinkpad X1 C4 or Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen1.

kvoram likes this.
  7. tnatna

tnatna Pen Pal - Newbie

Coming from a Toshiba Z20t, here is my quick review of the X1 after a day of use.

1. I really like this keyboard as compared to other keyboards eg z20t, surface. Disclaimer: i don't really like the surface 4 kb; in fact, i prefer the surface 3 kb. I particularly like the mousepad below the spacebar, not it being misaligned like in SP4. I am also extremely thankful that the trackpoint is here too unlike the Miix 700. So far, the trackpoint and mousepad have been very good! Unlike many other kb, thank goodness, this still has dedicated Home and End keys.

2. The dampening of the kb is not too bad - sound is quite minimal.

3. Stylus: I think the writing experience is not as good as on SP4 or Z20t's Wacom EMR.

4. Speakers: not crazy loud but definitely sufficient and the quality is excellent.

5. Screen: too reflective; so I slapped a surface 3 Supershield over it. So far, I am loving this matte screen.

6. Silo: I am grateful to have two options to hold the stylus.

7. Kickstand: better than i expected and definitely more conducive for use on the lap and pillows!

8. Camera: much better than i ever expected; and it is fast too!

9. charging speed: seems to be reasonably fast.

10. Battery life: having been pampered by Toshiba Z20t, I guess this battery is disappointing but nothing that scares me. Par for the course, I suppose.

11. Fingerprint scanner: very good too; I just wished we could use the scanner to wake the machine.

At this time, I have to say that considering my set comes with the kb, LTE, silo, stylus, productivity dock, 512 g ssd, 16 g ram, fingerprint scanner, 3 year on site warranty, usb c, mini dp port, 2 usb ports + hdmi (with the productivity dock), it really makes an equivalent SP4 seem like a huge ripoff.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Yao likes this.
  8. zgp

zgp Pen Pal - Newbie

What model of SSD do you have in tablet and what are the results in CrystalDiskMark?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  9. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine showed up today...

m7/1tb/16gb/wwan/keyboard/prodmod

Just in the process of cloning my x250 setup over.

Not too thrilled with the productivity module. Can't use it with the keyboard, should have a LAN port on it, should have more than it does really to be called a "Productivity" module and pretty pricey to boot.

Keyboard is okay, about 1/2 narrower than the Bluetooth Keyboard, thinner and less key travel. Even though it's "okay", it's leagues better than the SP4 keyboard. :)

I'm doing my restore in Acronis, booted from USB, so there's no PM going on, but does this thing get toasty!

JoeS likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Congrats! Looking forward to more first impressions. It's the single one left standing from the recent core m announcements, unless the MateBook and TabPro S suddenly turn out to have great digitizers after all.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative