ThinkPad X1 Tablet (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here we have another review:
    http://thehikaku.net/mediatablet/lenovo/16ThinkPad-X1-Tablet.html

It is in Japanese, so here is a Google Translate to English link:
    https://translate.google.com/transl...t/lenovo/16ThinkPad-X1-Tablet.html&edit-text=

By the way, has anyone found the actual specs of the projector module? I suppose those will be quite similar to Lenovo's Android Projector tablet but I couldn't find anything specific.

Oh, and does anyone know what Lenovo's actual TDP ratings for the different <Core M versions are?

2. JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice review...really in-depth .
    It has Power (compared to my TP 10 1st gen)
    And close to 10 hrs battery life

Nothing beats this ,except for the Surface Book IMO ,,, but FANLESS yay

Only wished the Productivity Module had Full SD CARD slot ...or on the tablet itself .
    Vaio Canvas showed us that it IS POSSIBLE!

Sadly only a few tablets now have this
    Gigabyte S10m - can't find one to buy
    Dell latitude 10 - too old and slow
    Vaio Z Canvas - battery life too short
    Elitepad with Productivity Jacket

3. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, with the craze to make devices thinner and thinner resulting in a lack of useful and neccessary ports, I really love the idea of add-on modules. But as I said before, while I applaud their inititative, I am not particularly fond of Lenovo's implementation.

I wish too, that Lenovo would offer a better 'Productivity Module' with a lot more ports including Full-Size SD Card slot.
    I also would like a battery-only module which could have increased the battery in the module by 50%.
    But I doubt Lenovo would release additional modules. Those add-on modules are already a niche product and with so many similar products to the X1 Tablet, this is also not going to sell like cupcakes, so the incentive for additional development of modules might be rather low.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  4. ernesto71

ernesto71 Chi trova un amico trova un tesoro

After a long wait and the reading of many forums and reviews for choosing my first new convertible it seems to me that this X1 can be currently the best choice, but not again the "perfect choice". I want wait again the professional review of the germany site notebookcheck.net: they are very techinal and more analitic in their considerations. Laptopmag is a little generic in the voting and Lisa Glade is focused on video talk. Summing the perfect product yet not exists: it could be the next SP5 (january 2017???) if Microsoft will incorporate a LTE Modem and an extra battery extractable module for ensuring 10 hours of work. I say this because for me there are now only 3 prime actors on the red carpet: A) the "old" SP4 with best display (for outdoor too and I won't consider the Toshiba Portege z20T because unfortunately it use a matte display with the debatable PWM technology), now a really good keyboard, half day battery work, not LTE, not upgradable with disassembly ( e.g. the battery after 4 years of intense use how will be and in every case I wanna not to pay 300 € or more of assistance for changing a battery for a tablet that will have the same price because "old and used"); B) the new HP Elite X2 1012 g1 with a good display, a really good keyboard, half day battery work (7 hours vs 6 hours of i5 SP4), LTE (yeahh), upgradable (prudently) with disassembly; C) the last new X1 Tablet with a good display but extremely reflective (no good for outdoor with sun), a really good keyboard, entire day (yeahh) battery work with battery pack module, LTE (yeahh), upgradable with disassembly (yeahh). Synthesizing the X1 Tablet has only a weak point than the competition: his screen really reflecting. If the X1 Tablet was with the SP4 display we would have the perfect product! Now a question to you...community of technology entusiasts: do you think that with a matte film screen protector will be possible to reduce the reflection without compromize the Wacon AES work? I found (e.g. in Amazon) that for Lenova Yoga already exist this kind of article but yoga is only touch, while for thinkpad yoga Lenovo use a non removable plastic sheet protector...
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...a-screen-wear-when-using-the-pen/td-p/1781151

Will be produced for logic and need for us users something of similar for the new X1 tablet? What's your opinion about?

5. ernesto71

ernesto71 Chi trova un amico trova un tesoro

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/13/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-tablet-review/

Engadget has just published his review! It's a little surprising and it's a shame because it seems that X1 falls where I would not have thought: the keyboard, namely the tipical strenght point for thinkpad line!
    Basically perhaps I was hoping to have the perfect tablet with them. The sinthesys in the article is "If you're looking for a modern hybrid tablet/laptop, the Surface Pro 4 is still a better option, even though you have to shell out extra money for its keyboard. It has faster hardware, a better keyboard (and trackpad), as well as far more reliable battery life."
    Frankly the battery is not a problem for me if you buy the extended unit of Lenovo, but the glossy screen, the "unexceptional" keyboard and the price too are important elements for me. I'll wait the sage "germany censors" notebookcheck.net for drawing the conclusion, but for sure now for my needs and tastes the HP Elite X2 has become the best choice on market. That's how it seems!

alextrela182 and JoeS like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hey, I'm just happy that at least one of these new tablets has a pen based on a known technology! We're still in the dark when it comes to the Samsung and the Huawei MateBook.

7. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't know, he is the first and only one I read that had a problem with the keyboard.
    But as he stated, he is a heavy hitter.
    And for his battery issues, at least with the X1T he has the option to take 1-10 battery modules with him to extend it.
    Try that with the others, as long as there is no accepted sub-c batterypack.

8. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just seen the review from Slashgear:
    http://www.slashgear.com/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-tablet-review-13438342/

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'd like to give the keyboard a try. Hopefully, my local BB gets one of these for display. Of course, my ideal tablet would be Mesosphere's Surface Air. But, this X1 comes as close as any device that has been released so-far. Setting aside its size, which is too large IMO, the weight is decent, the display is adequate and, setting aside the Engadget criticism, it looks like the keyboard is typical Thinkpad quality. Battery life looks decent.

I am not crazy about the kickstand design. Wacom pen is probably great. I am so-so about the modules. The slice battery adds a lot of bulk IMO. The projector looks toy-like to me. I don't think it can replace the conference room projector for a CLE seminar or serious presentation.

The ability to upgrade is a plus. My dilemma is that a 12.5" device is large to me and makes me think that I'll need an 8" tablet to fill the portability gap that the larger device will create. That is clearly the case with the SP4 vs. my S3. At least I think it's true with the TP X1. I'll have to see one in-person to really decide.

At the moment, my 2 device solution is working well. I use my GN5 for a lot of things I previously did with my 8" tablet. In addition to S-Pen note-taking, I also tend to use the screen capture/air command function a lot. It lets me easily capture something I want to respond to and make a quick note on it with the S-Pen. I really do think that an 8" note would be duplicative. But, it looks like if I am to upgrade my S3, it will likely have to be to a larger device that will be less portable and may require an intermediate 8" LTE device. But, at that point, the 8" tablet will likely become my defacto travel device with the X1 traveling only when I will be doing larger projects outside the office. I might as well have a Yoga X1 as the larger device. With the X1 or Yoga X1 and an 8" tablet, I'm back in the syncing mode, which was a PITA that I have eliminated with the Surface 3.

I am still hoping that Microsoft hasn't abandoned those of us who think the Pro series is too big and hoping that we see some 10" Core M units announced at Computex next month. Maybe even an announcement about a Surface 3 successor, but I am not optimistic. Intel has created too much confusion with the cancellation of the WiIlow Trail Atom and the new Wacom/Microsoft pen protocols being production ready in Q4, I don't expect anything new from Microsoft until then. I hope I am pleasantly surprised. Till then, this tablet has caught my attention, but I doubt that I'll be trading in my S3.

One question: will Thinkpad's NBD on-site warranty be available for this tablet? That might be a deciding factor. This is the second year in a row that I have to make alternative arrangements while I send my unit to Microsoft for Complete Care warranty work. Granted, it might only be a week to 10 days until I get a refurbished device, but NBD service would be far better for my only tablet (I have only a 7 year old Acer 1410T with Office/W10 as my back-up).

Yao likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.