ThinkPad X1 Tablet (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wrong, the Alpine Ridge controller (just the IC) costs only a measly $ 6:
    "Intel planned to sell its “Alpine Ridge” controller for $10 originally, but in a bid to speed-up adoption of Thunderbolt 3 by various makers of mainboards and improve its revenues, the company decreased the price of the chip to $6."
    Source: http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/...ut-prices-of-usb-3-1-chips-speed-up-adoption/

Of course there are a few dollars in additional costs, but really for the high price of the X1 tablet this should have been included. Lenovo just wants to continue to force people into their proprietary and inferior OneLink system, instead of adopting Thunderbolt 3 like the rest of the industry. They think they can get away with that just because they are the top PC manufacturer.

Might be doable, but that means you have to buy both the Productivity module for the X1 AND a OneLink dock. That's a uncool rip-off on Lenovo's part which I would not want to support with my money. Not to mention the unneccessary bulk.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

SP4 also has mediocre battery life.
    There's no doubt about that.
    Even m3 version is slightly worst than i5 version.

But that's no excuse for Lenovo.
    5-5.5 hours of simple browsing in not satisfactory at all.

When we are talking for portable device the battery life is very important element and features that must provide as much it can be.

Also don't forget the panel is lower resolution than SP4 it supposed that would have helped deliver further boost to battery life but first indicator says no.

That's not good sign.

No matter the boost extra modular offer the device as single proposal should offer better battery life.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  3. dliao

dliao Pen Pal - Newbie

I received my X1 tablet from Lenovo this Monday. I've been using it for a full day now, and here's couple quick impression that i have.

The Good:
    • Pretty solid design
    • Quiet
    • Very nice screen
    • Fast
    • Keyboard is much better than SP4 IMO
    • The kickstand is better than I had original anticipated since it does kick back at most of the angle I adjust it to.
    • Speakers are not lout, but clear.
    • Battery life is as advertised (5.5 of light office usage)
    The Bad:
    • I’ve had 3 incidents where the keyboard did not function after turning on the device.
    • I’ve had 2 incidents where I took the machine out of backpack and it’s very warm to almost hot. I’m suspecting it might be because the power button is pressed while in the backpack, and Windows Hello try to scan the finger nail. This also lead to drastic drainage of the battery. For example, with device fully charged overnight and unplugged before I left for work this morning, when I took it out of backpack an hour later in the office it has already dropped down to 70%.
    • Speaking of the finger print, it’s just as fast as what we have on the smartphones, however there were some incidents that it just would not recognize my finger print, and indicated that several attempt had been tried, please input the pin code instead. This is just from when I first turn on the screen maybe after 15, 20 mins of sleep.
    • The built in WRITEit software gets turned on randomly no matter if you are in tablet mode or laptop mode. This is annoying because WRITEit has a function where you can write on top of an input box like username/password input box, and it would convert the writing to the actual text and paste it into the input box. Software does it by detecting the input box of the software you are using like a web browser. However, I’m assuming the software should be disabled automatically while in the laptop mode with keyboard attached. In reality, it gets turn on randomly so if I were to login to my email, sometimes the writing box would pop up overtaking the typing function, and I had to disable the software manually to get rid of it.
    • The screen reflection is really bad, depending on what environment I was in, sometime I can even see myself while working. I’ve had reflective screen before, but I don’t remember being this bad.
    • The trackpad is nowhere near where Mac laptop is. I still think SP4/Surface Book might still be the only windows device that could compete with Mac’s trackpad. (WHY??)

The Neutral:
    • I still prefer tablet to be more of square-ish size like 4:3
    • Still trying to figure out a way to just click some button on the pen, and I can start jotting note on the screen instead of having to turn on, run One Note, and create a new note before I can start jotting down anything.
    • I’m not sure how long the kickstand could withstand all those opening and closing down the road.
    • I haven’t seen an X1 Carbon in person myself, but this device feels very plastic-ky eventho it’s part of X1 family. I’m not sure if X1 Carbon’s anything like this.
    • At this time, I still feel SP4 might be of a better value if you can find a good price online for the i5, 256gb, 8GB model for around USD $1.2k
    I’m still torned between this and SP4. I prefer the design aesthetic of MS’s product, but prefer the upgradability of the X1 tablet (have not confirmed if it’s do-able myself yet). I’ll give it try couple more days and hopefully more professional review would start popping up on the internet to help me make up my mind.

4. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Thats why there is a TrackPoint. :vbbiggrin:

JaneL likes this.
  5. dliao

dliao Pen Pal - Newbie

I used to say that until Mac trackpad came :p

6. kvoram

Thanks a lot for you detailed thoughts. It is sad to hear they decided to use a mirror as a screen, Toshiba seems to be the only company left doing the right thing in that regard.
    Also disappointing to hear of the various firmware/software problems. Why can't any company fix their obvious software bugs BEFORE they release it to their customers???

One request: Could you test how much force is needed to put down the screen when it is at angle of only 20-30 degree? Can you still use the pen at that angle or will the tablet be pushed down by the pressure of your handwriting?

How stable is the screen, does it wobble easily?

7. dliao

dliao Pen Pal - Newbie

At 20 degree the kick stand will just fold back in. At roughly 35 to 40 degree..you may use it as a screen, but putting any more force on it may force it back down, especially at 35 degree (this is just eyeing it).

If you need to draw on the screen at that angle, i think the best way is probably to lay it on the table like the promo picture in the link. which is about 40 to 45 degree roughly (again...just eyeing it). I'll play more with different angle, but if you are talking about something like what SP4 can do, i don't believe x1 tablet is capable of it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON Pen Pal - Newbie

So 5.5 Hours real work without Productivity module , may be 8-9 with .
    Hmm , I was looking at this only because the Surface Book has a fan .
    But the features on the Surface Book may win in the end .
    1. True stable keyboard
    2. 1TB option available NOW .
    3. Dedicated GPU
    4. Full SD card slot
    5. Pen with eraser function

Vs Thinkpad X1
    1. USB in the tablet
    2.LTE
    3. Fanless
    4. Price in comparison to SB

A shame Lenovo dropped the Helix line .That could have been adapted to compete with the SB if they added detachable Gpu in the base .
    Going now to look at my Helix 2 review videos and ponder future investments , may be cheaper now to get .

9. kvoram

Thanks, I forgot about that turn-it-by-180-degree-possibility. If I recall correctly the Vaio Z Canvas has a relatively stiff kickstand at almost any angle, so I was hoping the the X1T could hold its own in that regard.

10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The worst think is that current device is the last one been released so far of all devices announced autumn/earlier winter 2005/16 and Lenovo had months and months to deliver the highest optimized combination of software and hardware and first sign is not good at all.

Also the very reflective screen is negative and agree that Toshiba doing the best job with mat finished panel.

I think the expectations was a bit higher and Lenovo seems not done the write choice with the device in some elements.

1.Lacking of thunderbolt support.
    2.Very reflective screen
    3.Mediacore battery life.

I was though that time over time OEM would have offered much better balance and better overall proposal but was wrong.

ernesto71 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.