ThinkPad X1 Tablet (2016)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 3, 2016.

1. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

JoeS, thierryb, gtbaka and 4 others like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This looks quite nice. Hopefully, the keyboard is a significant improvement over the Miix (I assume that it is). The module concept is a bit gimmicky for me. The 3D scanning module being the most useful I would think, for those who require that functionality. The tablet is quite light. Looks like there is going to be plenty of competition for the Surface Pro in the 12" tablet space.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I dunno the battery module seems pretty interesting, specially if the claimed extra 5 hours seems true.

4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sound very interesting alternative over other 2 in 1 device.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-announces-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-Yoga-and-Tablet.156911.0.html

ThinkPad X1 Tablet
    The ThinkPad X1 Tablet has a 12-inch screen with a resolution of 2160x1440 pixels and an aspect ratio of 3:2. The Windows tablet offers processors all the way up to the 6th Gen Intel Core m7 vPro, which is supported by up to 16 GB LPDDR3 RAM. The biggest storage solution is a 1 TB PCIe NVMe-SSD and an LTE-A modem is optional. This is also the case for a ThinkPad keyboard. The tablet is 8.4 millimeters thin and tips the scale at 795 grams. The ports include one USB 3.0 and another USB Type-C port, a micro-SD slot and a stereo jack. The battery is supposed to last up to ten hours. The ThinkPad X1 Tablet will be available in the U.S. in February for $900.

The technology of the ThinkPad X1 Tablet is therefore solid, and it probably wants to compete with Microsoft's Surface Pro 4. The innovative part is the three optional modules, which can be attached to the bottom of the tablet. The first one is called the "Productivity Module", which can increase the battery runtime by five hours. It also offers an HDMI output as well as a OneLink+ port for $150. The second option is the "Presenter Module" for $280. It is equipped with a mobile presenter, which can create a 60-inch picture from a distance of two meters. It also includes one HDMI input and one output. The last module is the "3D Imaging Module" for $150. It uses the Intel RealSense camera to scan objects for graphics design and 3D printing.

Specifications:

Up to Intel 6th Gen Core m7 vPro
    Up to 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    Optional LTE-A WWAN
    WiGig docking
    Up to 16GB memory LPDDR3
    12” FHD+ 2K 2160x1440 (3:2) IPS
    Tablet: 8.4mm (0.33”) With Keyboard: 13mm (0.51”)
    Tablet: 795g (1.75lbs) With Keyboard: 1.1kg (2.4lbs)
    USB Type-C
    IR Camera (optional) WiGig, 1x USB 3.0, 1xUSB Type-C PD, mDP, micro SD, Audio, Nano Sim (also available via Modules: additional USB3.0, Full Size HDMI, OneLink+ docking port)

Sent from my iPad Air 2

JoeS likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It does look like an awesome tablet. I can't help but think though that offering it up to 16GB of Ram seems almost a waste. I'd imagine that if your going to really be taxing the ram to that level......the Core M processor might not be up to those tasks. I wonder how much that 16GB/1TB config would jack the price to?

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As nice as the X1 Tablet looks, is no one else excited that the X1 Yoga has a 14" 3:2 OLED display (with Wacom AES)?

I'm sorry, but that just totally stole the show for me :D

The only thing that might trump this is Samsung's W700 which presumably will feature an OLED display but with Wacom EMR underneath.

But man that 16GB/1TB NVMe option though...2016, the year the unicorns finally appear.

stoneseeker and czm2000 like this.
  7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Tempted.

...But will wait for the reviewers to compare cpu A to cpu B.

Hmmm. Probably still won't be able to exchange the ram but the SSD?

8. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

No i5 or i7 non-m version no go for me. My primary applications are visual studio and adobe photoshop. I'll pop over the ces booth on Wed though to check it out

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I prefer pure 2 in 1 with adjustable keyboard plus 14" is too much for my need.
    12-12.5 "is the most sweet balance between tablet and laptop.

But I do like very much the OLED panel.

This proposal from Lenovo + Elite x2 from HP is the best alternative over SP4 and having some interesting advantages that surface tablet don't offer.

The only think missing is Thinkpad Helix 3 witch will include Intel Core Skylake CPU.

Maybe until Spring 2016 will see also from Lenovo.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The HP, to me, isn't viable over the SP4 due to screen resolution and a few other bits and bobs. I'd prefer the Lenovo over HP.

Lenovo...
    "THAT BATTERY MODULE IS AWESOME!"

It's about time that the 'others' joined MS in the game of tabs.